Size of a female Home's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IggyBeans

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
metro detroit, mi
My understanding was that females were supposed to be larger than the male. The people I got mine from said they were both full grown adults. That brings us to the question...My female is small than the male. Will that affect breeding? In dogs you always want the male smaller, is that true with torts too? Or do you think my female is still growing?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
When they say "adult" they mean they are of breeding size, not that they are done growing. Your female should continue to grow.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I guess I also should maybe add more. With dog's the size of the male matters because, if a Great Dane breeds with a female Chihuahua, the puppies may end up being too big for the female to give birth to. With tortoises, egg size is not determined by the size the hatchling will be. Eggs are more a standardize size. There are variations in size and more in weight, but not a noticeable amount usually. Not like the difference between a Chihuahua compared to a Dane puppy.

The main thing with a small female is a little smaller eggs perhaps, but almost always it's more just a smaller clutch count.

Status
Not open for further replies.