Sleeping a lot and not eating much

dharfield

Location (City and/or State)
Berkshire
I have a 18 month hermanns tortoise, I had her in a 90x30cm table (setup-2ft 10%uvb strip bulb and 75w heat lamp, light is same as daylight and heat for 12hours), decided to make her 180x30cm table (3ft 10%uvb strip bulb and same heat) and ever since I have she's less active and isn't eating as much, it's been about 6 weeks now and I have to wake her up every day and I out her by the heat, she'll either eat a small amount then go back or jus wait there for a little bit and walk back to her bed..... slightly concerned as she use to be quite active and finish her food most days. Should I just put her back in the smaller table? Or put more heat lamps I'm not sure :s

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Have you measured your temperatures and checked them with the care sheet?
It also looks a bit dry? And is the lamp a UV lamp?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I would double check your temps. Sounds like it may be too cold

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are you using that substrate with the little lime stone bits in it. It seems like everyone in the UK uses that stuff. I don't think its a good idea to encourage tortoises to eat their substrate whenever they have a calcium craving.

I'll bet your temperatures are too cool too. Check out these threads for up to date care info and come back with any questions.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
She won't thank you in the long run for going back to a smaller enclosure.
It's a case of tweaking the new one until you get it right for her.
Lots of good advice given on how to achieve this.
My bet is the temps, too.

dharfield

Berkshire
Thanks all, I'll put her back in the smaller one for now as she is still quite small and make another which is in between the sizes so easier to regulate heat.

As for the dryness the subtrate seems to dry out after a week or so, would it be worth just giving it a little spray with water when she's asleep? (Also boosting humidity??

The lamp in the second one is only the heat lamp which is on as was evening, there is a 3ft strip on the long side :)

As for the subtrate yeah I noticed she does seem to eat it a little bit when it's fresh but after a few days doesn't take notice, I did originally use a straw like subtrate but this had bad reviews on a couple sites as very dry, dusty particles and can also injure as can have sharp chips, what would you recommend as a lot seems to have bad reviews or some fault with the ones available?

Appreciate the feedback

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Spray the substrate as often as is required to keep it moist, but not wet.
Remember to increase heat along with humidity.
Straw is not a good substrate, in my opinion.
Coco coir, orchard bark and cypress mulch are all popular here as is safe topsoil or yard dirt, if yours is suitable and pure enough.

dharfield

Berkshire
Yeah ill look in to other subtrate and just keep it hydrated not wet.

What's wrong with heat lamp? I do have an arcadia heat+light bulb you can't use dimmer with it :s

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Heat is good, if it's the right temperature. A tortoise that is either too cold or too hot will not eat. The red light affects them.

dharfield

Berkshire
Yeah I've just read up about red spot lights and yes they are not advised, will invest in a clear spot lamp as these are recommended