sleeping torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

sportychick

5 Year Member
Well let's see how this goes lol always worried with him for his health and stuff since he's new to me :) I took him out for an hour in the sun today .. is it enough a day or how often each day? Fed him they leafs from rose today he loves them:)

After he ate and was out for 40 mins he decided it was time to hide in his hideout in the shade

yoda3106

5 Year Member
sportychick said:
Well let's see how this goes lol always worried with him for his health and stuff since he's new to me :) I took him out for an hour in the sun today .. is it enough a day or how often each day? Fed him they leafs from rose today he loves them:)

After he ate and was out for 40 mins he decided it was time to hide in his hideout in the shade

Yeah, he seems fine to me, that's exactly how our torts are :) you want to weigh and measure him monthly to make sure he puts on weight, also this helps with any non visible to the eye illnesses!! If he's fine putting weight on then all of a sudden he seems lethargic and not himself but looks ok, it could mean he's got something inside wrong with him!! If you understand ha

He looks about 1/2 year old, same as my Henry, he's this age!! I was the the same with ours in the beginning but you get to know them if there fine or not, promise you!! Lol an hour a day seems a little to less, I'd say at least a couple hours a day, everyday, he needs the sun light and the rays from the sun to promote healthly growth!! Ideally all day in it but with your situation, a few hours is fine!!! :)

sportychick

5 Year Member
OK I will put him on the balcony a little later when its not the hottest point of day :D guess I need to buy a scale lol :D

yoda3106

5 Year Member
sportychick said:
OK I will put him on the balcony a little later when its not the hottest point of day :D guess I need to buy a scale lol :D

Yea, you realise this, at the hottest points of the day, they'll hide lol there god to watch!! Just a cheap scale will do and record it all!! I can't wait to see ours tommorow :)

sportychick

5 Year Member
:) just a kitchen scale will do? My tort is walking all over his tank all day pretty active. Not to much basking or for to long.... lol

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I use a digital kitchen scale for weighing Joe. You have to zero it with a high sided box on it and then add your tort to weigh him. (Actually Joe's so big, I use a washing up bowl to stop him walking off :D)

Yours is so active, it's no wonder he's eating a lot! :D

yoda3106

5 Year Member
sportychick said:
:) just a kitchen scale will do? My tort is walking all over his tank all day pretty active. Not to much basking or for to long.... lol

Yeah, it's what I use lol :) well, he's active so he's fine, not always do mine bask, if they do, it's between 10 to 40 mins at a time stop worrying!! Lol :)

sportychick

5 Year Member
Its now almost 3pm and after sleeping.under the light for 20 minutes or so he has finally decided to crawl half way into his hide... yes been active for pretty much 6hrs roaming his tank doing nothing lol :D states away from his water so I don't even know if he went to the bathroom today
.. don't see anything in his tank.. should I be worried? He usually goes everyday but in a soak

yoda3106

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
I hope you're listening to yourself Ben! :D

Haha I'm listening and it's dan :p you can call me Ben if you want thou hahaha

sportychick said:
:D posting a short.video but its.not that great. My son's making noise lol

He looks fine to me :) walking well and very adventurous by the looks of things :D did you see that I meant 1-2years old, not half a year old lol

sportychick

5 Year Member
Yea I seen that Yoda :D my bad.. all we were told from the person at the expo was he was still really young

So to my above ? Should I "worry" lol about the fact I never seen him poop or wee today?

yoda3106

5 Year Member
sportychick said:
Yea I seen that Yoda :D my bad.. all we were told from the person at the expo was he was still really young

So to my above ? Should I "worry" lol about the fact I never seen him poop or wee today?

He is young!! No, I wouldn't say you need to worry, he may have done it in his tank already!! You never know!! Soak him maybe, cause my always go more in there soak than they do outside, sometimes it's horrific!! Lol they can go days apparently!! See what joesmum says to

sportychick

5 Year Member
Yeah OK I will see what she says also. I didn't soak him today as I've said because some ppl were saying 2-3 times was a lot and that he needs it only few times a week so I'm not sure ...
Haha as I mentioned he went to his hide but only managed to get half way in and pass out for 15minutes and now he got up and moved all in :D

Was looking at a YouTube video and the same size tort as.mine someone.has posted ageing between 3-6 months. :) Gawd why can't they be.easier to figure out age lol.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Just back home - I agree he may have done a wee in his enclosure.

For a young tortoise kept indoors, I would soak just once a day for 20 minutes... it does no harm to do it daily and usually leads to less mucking out of the table or viv!

If the tortoise is new, not eating or ill I'd do it twice a day as dehydration is a risk. Three times is probably excessive unless there are extreme circumstances,

sportychick

5 Year Member
So all done I soaked him but I'm assuming he went somewhere in his enclosure as he didn't do anything in his soak. He's up and active and.looking to eat lol... I'm pretty sure he will disappear for the night once he is done lol

Status
Not open for further replies.