Sleepy Russian

Solano

Location (City and/or State)
Lakewood
Hello I have a Russian Tort and have had him for about 3 months now and the past week he has been super sleepy and isn't waking up to eat as usual I have been waking him up to eat in the morning and he plays and will stay awake but as soon as he's is back in his house he burrows and goes rite back to sleep is this normal? Should I wake him at all? The temperatures in his house terrarium are 90-95 one side and 70-75 the other side overnight temp is anywhere from 60-66 degrees. I do live in Colorado and we are going into fall the days have been colder the last week also.

Tortoisesarecool

Converse Texas United States
It could be that winter is coming soon and he is starting to get ready for hibernation as of right now my tortoise has been asleep for about a day and a half although I am not sure about your tortoise and I would advise that you take other people's opinion before making a decision

Solano

Lakewood
It could be that winter is coming soon and he is starting to get ready for hibernation as of right now my tortoise has been asleep for about a day and a half although I am not sure about your tortoise and I would advise that you take other people's opinion before making a decision
Thank you! Do you wake yours to eat or just leave alone?

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
Specifically for Russians, October / November through March / April is when they brumate ( hibernation but for reptiles ). Just continue doing what you normally do as far as feeding and fresh water daily. For my RT, I provide at least 4 - 6 inches of coco coir so they can dig down and sleep. Russians are a digging breed, and it mimics their natural environment and helps them feel secure. When they do not have substrate to dig under, they feel exposed. I let mine sleep and when he is hungry, he will come out and eat. As far as baths, just to do it once a week so they stay hydrated, but they aren't being bothered all the time. As long as they are healthy, they can brumate. They will wake in March / April and become active again. No need to worry! Its perfectly fine and a sign of a healthy tort ?

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
Do not be alarmed if they do not eat. They may eat a lot one day and then not eat the next. Sometimes my tort goes 3 - 4 days without eating. They will eat when they are hungry.

Solano

Lakewood
Specifically for Russians, October / November through March / April is when they brumate ( hibernation but for reptiles ). Just continue doing what you normally do as far as feeding and fresh water daily. For my RT, I provide at least 4 - 6 inches of coco coir so they can dig down and sleep. Russians are a digging breed, and it mimics their natural environment and helps them feel secure. When they do not have substrate to dig under, they feel exposed. I let mine sleep and when he is hungry, he will come out and eat. As far as baths, just to do it once a week so they stay hydrated, but they aren't being bothered all the time. As long as they are healthy, they can brumate. They will wake in March / April and become active again. No need to worry! Its perfectly fine and a sign of a healthy tort ?
Wow thank you that helps me so much!