Sleepy

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Hello. Is Dozer the little sulcata baby of your avatar pic ?
How warm is nice and warm ? Please tell us the temps and humidity of Dozers enclosure and upload some pics of him and the enclosure. Often can pics more "say" than a hundred written words.

Jodimsteinberg5

Knoxville
It ranges from 79 in cool areas and 104 in warm areas. Humidity is a bit low right now from heaters 40%. The spot he’s in right now is 87.5

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
You need to cover your enclosure to keep the heat and humidity in. The substrate looks very dry. Usually if he is acting sleepy, he is too cold.

Jodimsteinberg5

Knoxville
You need to cover your enclosure to keep the heat and humidity in. The substrate looks very dry. Usually if he is acting sleepy, he is too cold.

How could I cover that without making a fire hazard with the lights? He lives beside an indoor pond that holds my red eared sliders. The room is kept at 80 degrees

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
There are actually 7. One is ceramic heat 4 uvb 2 uva

That seems like a very inefficient setup for a 4 x 6 ft enclosure. 1x basking, 1-2x UV(B), and 1x ceramic heat emitter or reptile heating panel would be what I would use.

1x ceramic heat emitter
2x UV(A) - as in a basking bulb that only provides heat? such as an incandescent flood bulb?
4x UV(B) - The only UV(B) bulbs I know that use lamp fixtures and do not provide heat are compact florescent bulbs. Coil and bent U-shaped bulbs such as compact florescent bulbs can cause severe eye issues in tortoises. I do not recommend using these.

How could I cover that without making a fire hazard with the lights? He lives beside an indoor pond that holds my red eared sliders. The room is kept at 80 degrees

Purchase T5 Arcadia 12% linear florescent bulbs. Use linear florescent fixtures with reflectors and suspend them above the enclosure with a wood or pvc stand. A 2x 2 ft or a single 4 ft linear florescent bulb for a 4 x 6 ft enclosure may be enough depending on the setup height. Example linked below:
http://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-desert-12-uvb/

You won't have to heat the entire room if you just convert the enclosure into a closed chamber. Purchase greenhouse plastic film. Build either a PVC or wood frame and use that to cover the entire enclosure.

I don't think the red sliders would need a set room temperatures as long as the water is heated to be above 75F and that they're provided with a basking bulb of their own.

Last edited:

Minority2

Tortoise Hell

Jodimsteinberg5

Knoxville
That seems like a very inefficient setup for a 4 x 6 ft enclosure. 1x basking, 1-2x UV(B), and 1x ceramic heat emitter or reptile heating panel would be what I would use.

1x ceramic heat emitter
2x UV(A) - as in a basking bulb that only provides heat? such as an incandescent flood bulb?
4x UV(B) - The only UV(B) bulbs I know that use lamp fixtures and do not provide heat are compact florescent bulbs. Coil and bent U-shaped bulbs such as compact florescent bulbs can cause severe eye issues in tortoises. I do not recommend using these.

Purchase T5 Arcadia 12% linear florescent bulbs. Use linear florescent fixtures with reflectors and suspend them above the enclosure with a wood or pvc stand. A 2x 2 ft or a single 4 ft linear florescent bulb for a 4 x 6 ft enclosure may be enough depending on the setup height. Example linked below:
http://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-desert-12-uvb/

You won't have to heat the entire room if you just convert the enclosure into a closed chamber. Purchase greenhouse plastic film. Build either a PVC or wood frame and use that to cover the entire enclosure.

I don't think the red sliders would need a set room temperatures as long as the water is heated to be above 75F and that they're provided with a basking bulb of their own.

I ordered the light from your link and I’m asking my husband to build a cover. You think that will perk him up?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I ordered the light from your link and I’m asking my husband to build a cover. You think that will perk him up?

I can't be certain because I don't know what your current care conditions, diet, and symptoms are. If you are indeed using compact florescent bulbs, as I suspect you might be, swapping out for a safe UV(B) linear florescent bulb will, in time, clear out the eye issues.

Jodimsteinberg5

Knoxville
I can't be certain because I don't know what your current care conditions, diet, and symptoms are. If you are indeed using compact florescent bulbs, as I suspect you might be, swapping out for a safe UV(B) linear florescent bulb will, in time, clear out the eye issues.

He eats weeds from my yard. All approved ones from toms list. I soak him 3-4 times a week. The only symptom I see is that he’s sleepy. If I wake him up he peeks up and walks around. He seems very strong and is growing well. I sprinkle calcium and vitamins on his food. Clean water every day. He has something wrong with his eyes?

Jodimsteinberg5

Knoxville
Thanks for all your help! It’s great to have a place to go to ask questions. I worry. I love the little guy so much

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
He eats weeds from my yard. All approved ones from toms list. I soak him 3-4 times a week. The only symptom I see is that he’s sleepy. If I wake him up he peeks up and walks around. He seems very strong and is growing well. I sprinkle calcium and vitamins on his food. Clean water every day. He has something wrong with his eyes?

Sleepiness can either common for a young tortoise or a possible symptom for many different reasons. It's hard to make any assumptions without specific information. I'm only suggesting that if your tortoise is visibly irritated by the lights, there may be something wrong with them. You have yet to confirm whether or not you were using compact florescent bulbs so I can't really give any other information past what you given me.

Does your tortoise have an outdoor enclosure while they're outside? Does your tortoise have access to shade, water, and hides while he or she is outside?

Jodimsteinberg5

Knoxville
Yes compact bulbs. The o Ed his vet told me to get. They’re supposed to be upgraded to be safe for their eyes. Yes he is safe outside with shade and water in enclosure plus I stay right there with him.

Jodimsteinberg5

Knoxville
That was supposed to say the ones the vet told me to get. She gave me a print out with options on it.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
That was supposed to say the ones the vet told me to get. She gave me a print out with options on it.

Compact florescent bulbs are notoriously known for causing a reptiles eyelids to fuse into their eyes, causing them to permanently shut their eyes to get relief. While companies have issued a fix, the new models are completely identical to the old ones that are still sold to this very day. This means every purchase of a compact florescent bulb is a complete gamble.

Your current veterinarian may not be following the most current up to date care. Some veterinarians, animal organizations, rescues, and shelters still use and refer new owners to old outdated practices. I suggest double checking with tortoise forum before following the advice given by others.

Here are some care sheets on Sulcata tortoises in case you haven't already read them:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Be sure to keep your open enclosure at a humidity level above 80% at all times and to soak your tortoise daily for 20-30 minutes in warm water.