Small tortoises?

Cadence108

Location (City and/or State)
Alabama, USA
Hey!
I am building some wooden enclosures to go on a shelf I have.
I have always loved tortoises and thought they‘re super cute. I was wondering if there is a small tortoise that can go in a 4’x2’ enclosure. Based on the research I’ve already done, they need more space, even the small ones, just though I’d come here to check and find out for sure. I would also prefer one that’s not overly expensive, I know they are not at all cheap, I’m just looking for one that’s not thousands of dollars, if possible. Thanks!

Cherryshell

Manassas Virginia
Typically the smallest you want to go is a 4'x8' enclosure, even for the two smallest species (Russians and Hermanns). If space is limited then maybe a small species of turtle would be better if you have limited space.

wellington

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Check into the pancake tortoise. From what I have been told, they can have smaller spaces then most. However, I'm not sure a 4x2 for life of the tortoise would be big enough for anything other then a hatchling upto around 2 years depending on species.
Keep in mind the tortoise isn't cheap and neither is the equipment needed or the electric to run the equipment.
You might be better off with a small lizard or toad.
@Kapidolo Farms Will I believe can advise more on Pancake tortoises.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Turtles that can manage in that amount of space are aquatic (so wood, not so much).

There are very wee mostly-terrestrial turtle species, but they are humidity-dependent and are very costly...