Snail in outdoor enclosure

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I saw snail like shell in his poop.
Today i saw little snails in his outdoor enclosure, and they looks like eating his cuttlebone. Is it harmful for toro to eat snails? I catch 3 of them
20161018_081328-1.jpg
20161018_081316-1.jpg

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Snails carry parasites like tape worms which are really bad for your tort. I would get rid of any you see around. If you suspect he may have eaten some (if shells are in his poop, then he had), have his feces tested for parasites. Tape worms can eventually kill your tort if gone untreated.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Goshh!!!! How can i get rid of them?

Snails usually live in wet environment. You can block his exposure to areas were there's a lot of moisture, and where snails thrive. If you start to feed him mazuri and a variety of other foods, their interest in snails may disappear. There's really no way of ridding your yard of snails without posing some threat to his environment.
I have a small tort that hunted snails. He pooped shells, which alerted me to the possibility of parasites. He got tape worms and he was on meds until it cleared. Since I was feeding him mazuri daily, he eventually left the snails alone.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
His environment sure is wet. If dry, the grass will die. This is the outdoor.

The humidity reach 90% at night. I feed him mazuri twice a week, others is hibisscuss, roselle, grass, pinto peanut, and some grocery store vegetable.

Are there anything i can do to minimalize the tape worm possibility? Can i use the meds by myself? No herp vet here. Since no vet here, i should take every action as early as i can before anything get worse.

20161018_081414.jpg

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Well, the meds my tort was on was an injection of PRAZIQUANTEL 56.8 mg/ml. Of course, his weigh would determine how much to give. My tort, at the time, weighed 13.60 pounds. If you don't have a vet nearby, I don't know how you'll be able to administer the injection of medicine unless where you live, a prescription isn't necessary and you can easily acquire a syringe. PLEASE make sure your tort has tape worm BEFORE giving him meds. Treating him for something he doesn't have isn't good either. Where can you get his feces tested? Since you don't know if he has parasites, that should be your first priority.

Btw, your baby looks beautiful! You could set his enclosure inside where snails won't be a problem. When he gets bigger, you can build an outside enclosure that could minimize that snail problem.

Last edited:

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Well, the meds my tort was on was an injection of PRAZIQUANTEL 56.8 mg/ml. Of course, his weigh would determine how much to give. My tort, at the time, weighed 13.60 pounds. If you don't have a vet nearby, I don't know how you'll be able to administer the injection of medicine unless where you live, a prescription isn't necessary and you can easily acquire a syringe. PLEASE make sure your tort has tape worm BEFORE giving him meds. Treating him for something he doesn't have isn't good either. Where can you get his feces tested?
I don't think i have place to test his feces too. I will search for it. Meds and syringe is easy to acquire here. Ok, i'll wait untill i saw another snail shell in his poop and i will take action. I try to chill a bit now. Thanks a lot sibi

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I don't think i have place to test his feces too. I will search for it. Meds and syringe is easy to acquire here. Ok, i'll wait untill i saw another snail shell in his poop and i will take action. I try to chill a bit now. Thanks a lot sibi
Waiting to see if there's more shells in his poop isn't going to tell you if he has parasites. Only a feces culture can definitively confirm parasites or tape worms. Send a sample of stool to a lab that can test for parasites on torts. I would check places where you can send samples of his stool. That's your best bet. For now, rest and take one day at a time. Speak to you tomorrow if you want.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Ok i got it. I should start to search for that. now 12.40 p.m lol

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I hope someone tell me it is ok for toro to eat snails :(

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Soer
I hope someone tell me it is ok for toro to eat snails :(

Sorry to make light of your trouble. I recall that a member raised snails and tested them for parasites. He then only used the snails that had less parasites, and again breed them. He continued this process until the snails he breed were free of parasites. These were the snails he'd feed his torts. Unfortunately, he had a laboratory -type environment, and he was a researcher. That's not a possibility for you. Also, unfortunately, there's no way that a tort will be free of parasites if they continue to eat snails. The solution is to place your baby inside your house to control his environment. In time, and with plenty of the right foods, he'll lose interest in snails.

Maybe, @Yvonne could chime in and give her opinion too.

Last edited:

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Soer

Sorry to make light of your trouble. I recall that a member raised snails and tested them for parasites. He then only used the snails that had less parasites, and again breed them. He continued this process until the snails he breed were free of parasites. These were the snails he'd feed his torts. Unfortunately, he had a laboratory -type environment, and he was a researcher. That's not a possibility for you. Also, unfortunately, there's no way that a tort will be free of parasites if they continue to eat snails. The solution is to place your baby inside your house to control his environment. In time, and with plenty of the right foods, he'll lose interest in snails.

Maybe, @Yvonne could chime in and give her opinion too.
Yes not possible, this is sulcata. Sooner or later he will be outside :(

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
You probably know what's in and on the ground you let Toro roam , so I think the snails would be safe also ! Aside from doubtful infection , they are a good source of calcium and protein ! I wouldn't be too concerned about it ! But that's just me ! ;)