eater

rolley

Today morning when I left my star to roam in the lawn...he saw a snail and in few seconds he reached him and ate him...is this normal ? What can be the reasons he is eating snails

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I don't know anything about star tortoises. I have been told that Russian tortoises will eat worms once in a while. I'm sure some starred tortoise people will come along soon and answer your question.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are opportunistic and will sometimes eat insects, worms, and as you saw, mollusks.

Many people put out poison in their gardens to kill off snails and slugs. Be sure your neighbors or your gardeners aren't doing this before you let it happen again.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
A little protein, maybe. Or calcium from the shell. Or it just likes the taste! :)

The first time my Russian ate a snail it was a little disturbing but it's not unusual.

rolley

They are opportunistic and will sometimes eat insects, worms, and as you saw, mollusks.

Many people put out poison in their gardens to kill off snails and slugs. Be sure your neighbors or your gardeners aren't doing this before you let it happen again.
No poisons are used in the gardens