So it's getting warmer, think its warm enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FWishbringer

5 Year Member
Deasil's going on a few months old now, and temps are up into the low to mid 80's during the day. Before, it was in the low 70's, and I was told too cold, even in direct sunlight with a windblock... now that the temps are up higher, think its safe to start putting the little one out in the daytime?

Weather for my area

One thing I was considering doing, since we have spare lumber laying around is setting up a pen, like a scaled down version of land and shed combo for adults. If I went with a 2 or 3 sq ft 'shed', it'd be really easy to weatherproof and I could set up the CHE outside. I want to set aside a good strip to grow 'weeds' in anyway. If I did do something like this, I'll need to go get some chicken cloth or hardware cloth to do over the area to prevent the little one getting carried off... would be cheaper than automated turrets mounted to the house to shoot down buzzards and hawks.

Experts say too soon yet on temps or is it about right? If I set it up so the CHE was available, would that cover the temp requirement outside?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
FWishbringer said:
...would be cheaper than automated turrets mounted to the house to shoot down buzzards and hawks.

Yes, but turrets sound like a lot more fun! If you're a guy, I'm surprised you'd even consider anything less! :D

FWishbringer

5 Year Member
Just finished Half Life 2, and Episode 1 and 2, and I play Team Fortress 2. All have automated turrets. ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If its in the 70's or above and sunny mine go out. In winter sometimes I'll put them out if its gets up to mid 60's and sunny.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just remember, it doesn't have to be a permanent arrangement. I go through what I call, "The in's and out's of Springtime" and "The in's and out's of Autumn" all the time. If its a nice day, I'll take all the babies out to their outdoor habitats. Then I bring them back inside in the late afternoon. If its not a nice day, they don't go out. If you place your outdoor baby habitat in a sheltered area, and out of the wind, its a lot warmer than if you put it where the wind will cool it down. So, if the sun is shining and its 65 or better, my babies go outside.

FWishbringer

5 Year Member
I decided to make myself a sturdy outdoor playpen and go with daytime romps. Thanks to all for the advice.

Since the enclosure is more its own thread, I put up pics here, which also includes a pic of the previous daytime playpen.

CELLMASS

5 Year Member
im glad i live in arizona. its already reaching 98 degrees outside. mwuahahaha. j/k. since its like 60 at night and 95 in the day. my buddy stays outside now. hes in heaven, eating, pooping, drinking tons of water, im happy.

FWishbringer

5 Year Member
We're in the 80s in the day, and low 60's at night now. During the HOTTEST summer days, we're only in the upper 90's. Its never been 100F here.

Now, the problem is, our heat index routinely reaches 110F-130F.

Just after the afternoon showers, we are frequently sitting at 90F-95F and 100% humidity, which has a heat index range of 132F-161F. The hottest heat index readings we get usually only lasts an hour, then back down to the 'normal' heat index of 110F.

Keep that in mind, next time you're baking under 120F sunlight, at 10% relative humidity with a heat index of 116F, and you see Tampa, FL sitting at 95F with a relative humidity of 100% and a heat index of 161F! You get a dry heat that helps cool you by providing sweat evaporation, we get a wet heat that lets us marinate in our own sweat.

CELLMASS

5 Year Member
if we had humidity our index would be in the 200's. 120 dry heat. you wouldnt want an outdoor job.

yeah the humidity makes it hot.... but theres nothing like having chaped bloody lips, and sun burns that bleed.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i was in lower Alabama from May to sept last year, and I can honestly say that I HATE a humid heat, and LOVE a dry heat.

gotta love socali!

FWishbringer

5 Year Member
CELLMASS, we get that too. Hooray for subtropics. I never get cold sores, but keep carmex around for the chapped lips, and we always have the gallon size aloe for burns. Lets just agree to share our summertime misery, for which we get to skip winter (I'm not up on my AZ climate, but I assume you skip winter like we do).

The seasons of Florida: Lovebug Season->Tourist Season->Summer->Snowbird Season

Actual question for the smart people...
Since it's not something I see much about, since most people don't deal with the humidity we get right on the coast of Florida, what effect does heat index have on sulcatas? If its 90Fish out and 100% humidity, with a heat index of 120F, do I need to treat it as 120F? If its 'cooking' in the sun (once won a bet by cooking the white part of an egg on the sidewalk... yolk didn't get hot enough though), will my baby get enough UVB through reflection if I move them to a shady part of the porch? We have a 3000 sq ft screened porch (more or less, including space for pool), with a quarter of it covered with an insulating roof with ceiling fans.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I leave my Spurs outside with hay in their night house to bury into till the mid 40's with no ill effects. Whenever we get cold it is followed by a clear morning and everyone gets out for the sunshine. I have never had a sulcatta get sick from this, ever! Over 17 years of doing this. This was the coldest year on record in South Florida and I still brought them in only 5 nights.The desert really gets way colder than most people think. As long as they are offered a form of protection they will use it (usually) some are a little (slow)???? LOL But put in protection and he will be fine. It sounds like you will have a companion tortoise for a good long time. I don't consider them "pets" I consider them "friends." Best wishes Douglas

CELLMASS

5 Year Member
if your saying im not smart. wich im not saying i am. but you living in florida, you should realize that uvb/uva rays get magnified through the clouds.

dummy. go swimming if your hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.