So my mom told me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoshitofu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
My mom comes back from Scales n' Tales (which is a reptile shop in Denver) She was talking to the man who runs the store as she was picking up Yoshi and Tofu's special mix. He tells her very rarely do Sulcatas live in Colorado because of the weather, which is completely reasonable and logical. The thing is, they're both babies still being 1 and 6 months, they are in an enclosure, I'm off to college soon and I'm sure when I'm done and take them on my own they'll be spouting in other words start to grow out of their enclosure and I could make such risks to move some place sunny and healthy for them to roam.

The thing is Colorado has such harsh winters and as I said before it could get through the walls of this winter weather because I feel as though I've got everything right and they still sometimes tuck in the corner and sleep. Yoshi was very active last winter though... Should I consider giving them to a home in say - Arizona or Nevada? I love them and I will let them go for them to be healthy and keep their vitality.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not sure what your question is here.

Where ever in the country you are, your tortoises need a proper enclosure with proper temps. Doesn't matter where you live until they get too big to be inside, and then your location becomes a matter of great importance. This time usually comes within 2 or 3 years. Unless your parents want to be taking care of tortoise as their own hobby, you really should not saddle them with this burden. Take the tortoises with you and give them what they need, or give them to someone who can and will.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Babies do hide more than adult torts...and their indoor enclosures are easily maintained when they are this young....

I would suggest; give yourself some time to really think about future set ups and such--then when you have given all aspects some thought, make a decision on what is best for the torts and what is practical for you and your torts...:D This does not always end in a person having to rehome their torts...

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I hope you can get a good setup for them in college. Id hate to hve to give away my babies. But- if it comes down to it- ill be visiting Arvada in March. I was going to buy a leopard tort next week but I would be open to talking to you about taking in your babies if things aren't working out for you up there. I've lived in CO 3 years so I know how it is up there but I moved back to TX in 2010. Again- hope you & your parents can figure something out though bc I'd hate for you to let them go. What breed do you have? Eventually you would have to move some of the larger breeds outside in hot conditions is my concern.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I and many other sulcata keepers in here live where we get the cold winters . You can keep them in cold places, it just takes a little more planning and work. It all boils down to what do YOU want? Then take that and find a way to make it work for you and your tortoises.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
If you are just now starting college, your sulcata are going to be BIG and needing larger facilities before you are finished with school. As Jacqui said, you can keep them successfully where you live. In addition to what YOU want, you need to consider what your parents will be able and willing to do in your absence.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Edna said:
you need to consider what your parents will be able and willing to do in your absence.

I left the parents out because if they are not up to the task, then if you have decided to keep the tortoises, you need to find new temp caretakers. Your parents would be the best option, but not the only ones. :cool:

Seejai

5 Year Member
North Dakota
I feel your pain! I live in North Dakota where it's been below zero all week. I'm a college student, but I graduate this year so hopefully I'll have a suitable place by the time she gets too big , and my parents were oddly supportive that I wanted a huge tortoise. I hope you can work something out!

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm in the springs with two adult sulcatas... Of coarse I have a very large heated basement with substrate floors, it is not very easy keeping a 150lbs tort warm in the winter. :)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
chase thorn said:
I'm in the springs with two adult sulcatas... Of coarse I have a very large heated basement with substrate floors, it is not very easy keeping a 150lbs tort warm in the winter. :)

I can't imagine keeping them indoors as adults. My sulcata is just shy of 3 years and already is a lot to handle.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
chase thorn said:
It is crazy ill tell you that much! they love it down in the basement. They have a large room all to themselves haha

I want to do what you do; turn my whole basement into a tort habitat

Your parents are cool taking care of 2 young sulcatas while you're away at college? And probably when you get out of college? You're going to be taking care of 2 monster torts and trying to find and start a new job. I hope you or the torts don't get screwed during all of this. I never understand why kids college aged and younger get these large exotic tortoises (or any pet for that matter), let alone 2. Best of luck to you. Ps- I got my Sulcata from a college student who's parents wouldn't take care of it anymore

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
haha yeah. They are my dads too. He is the care taker of them as he has a hook up with our local grocery store produce guy. I am going to college online... Home all the time is pretty easy going. They graze all summer anyway because we plant their outdoor enclosure... We have had them in CO for about 13 years now. I was about 5 when we got them! It is pretty easy keeping them here in CO as long as they have a good winter enclosure.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
I need a hook up with the local produce guy! The one store (wegman's) that ever has good produce is 20 mins from my house but I make the trek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.