So, really how intelligent?

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
From looking at your picture, most Russians would consider that climb a mere "walk in the park" not a true challenge.

When you have a corner you must put a cap board to prevent them from scaling the walls. They have no fear when it comes to going up a fence or a wall.

From looking at your picture, most Russians would consider that climb a mere "walk in the park" not a true challenge.

When you have a corner you must put a cap board to prevent them from scaling the walls. They have no fear when it comes to going up a fence or a wall.
Yeah he was using the thermometer as a stair so that's been moved a little over and if that fails we're capping the corners. So far no incidents though.
I honestly didn't know about the capping until last night so now that all the substrate is in its become the last resort option here.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Alright heres my take. They are pretty brilliant, but not necessarily in a smart way... but heck maybe its just RTs I speak for. My Nank is an absolute expert at getting to what he wants even if made impossible. We just built him a new enclosure, there a loft above the built in house that I keep 2 boxes of growing weeds for him... but he decided from the start he wanted to be up there. Caught him right away almost up in the plants, moved the boxes to block his way. Day 2 (yesterday while I was at work) he pushed the boxes off the loft and climbed up, flipping himself in the process. Last night, added the little extension on top to add hight and hopefully stop him... he IMMEDIATELY saw this as a challenge and went for it while my dad was still there (see below picture).
They're super smart when it comes to problem solving, not so smart when it comes to well being, because he ended up almost flipping again... literally for some dirt because no plant is growing yet!
imageuploadedbytortoise-forum1421106934-696877-jpg.114051

Tenacious for sure....one of the points of tortoise character that I find most endearing....

M

Maggie Cummings

I believe in socializing them. Some keepers say they are wild animals and should be treated as such. I socialized Bob and took him a lot of places and it seems to make him think and he just acts different. If I haven't spent enough time with him, he stands on my feet and tries to get up to my face to sniff around. He is very affectionate and actually plays with me. We chase a bucket or just walk up and down the street. He will follow me wherever I go. I personally think that a turtle or tortoise who has not been socialized is being cheated out of a different kind of tort life...I wouldn't know what to do without Bob for company. He's better company than any person I ever met...

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Oh.....They do get very smart. Out smart me some time! ! !!

Prairie Mom

I believe in socializing them. Some keepers say they are wild animals and should be treated as such. I socialized Bob and took him a lot of places and it seems to make him think and he just acts different. If I haven't spent enough time with him, he stands on my feet and tries to get up to my face to sniff around. He is very affectionate and actually plays with me. We chase a bucket or just walk up and down the street. He will follow me wherever I go. I personally think that a turtle or tortoise who has not been socialized is being cheated out of a different kind of tort life...I wouldn't know what to do without Bob for company. He's better company than any person I ever met...
Your posts always inspire me to do MORE. Thanks, Maggie!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
My floor is clean an there are no foreign bodies for him to ingest. So there for in my eyes he is fine. I know what you are saying but I'm saying I've covered all areas to make it safe for him an like I said he is highly supervised and watched while he is out. I'm not stupid.

Anyway I didn't come on the forum to be lectured. I came on to share abit about Arnie and maybe get advice on things I may be unsure of.[/QUOTE
I too allow my tort to roam around the place as I live in a flat. It is clean. However, and very sorry tos ay this: a large majority of the members is the forum disapproved, didn't like it...you name it, although they are judjing on something they do not know and have not seen.

Alex77

Mine behaves the same way. I Also know about the look of understanding mentioned earlier. Gaia gets this funny look on her face when I talk to her like she knows I'm communicating something but she hasn't a clue what it means, loll... Also as I mentioned in another thread I started on this same subject, torts have been known to cooperate with other species (eg burrow sharing) in the wild, so I reckon a certain amount of socialization is simply natural to them. What they get out of it psychologically is anyone's guess, but I reckon that it depends on the individual tort; some tolerate human companionship while others seem to enjoy it, or even seek it out. ( And why shouldn't they seek it out? As far as a tort can tell, a human owner is a benign and helpful presence. If she seeks you out, it probably means you're doing something right ;))

Prairie Mom

Mine behaves the same way. I Also know about the look of understanding mentioned earlier. Gaia gets this funny look on her face when I talk to her like she knows I'm communicating something but she hasn't a clue what it means, loll... Also as I mentioned in another thread I started on this same subject, torts have been known to cooperate with other species (eg burrow sharing) in the wild, so I reckon a certain amount of socialization is simply natural to them. What they get out of it psychologically is anyone's guess, but I reckon that it depends on the individual tort; some tolerate human companionship while others seem to enjoy it, or even seek it out. ( And why shouldn't they seek it out? As far as a tort can tell, a human owner is a benign and helpful presence. If she seeks you out, it probably means you're doing something right ;))
Just this morning she came to me when I called her. She's come to me before, but it wasn't as deliberate as it was today. I completely gushed!! She responded quickly (seriously-just like my dog!), toddled out of her hiding spot, and came over to me quickly and directly, so I could pick her up and take her for a warm soak. I won't deny that she's always on the look out for a snack like members always talk about, but I LOVE that she knows that I am safe and is eager to see what good thing I am going to provide for her.

I loved your comment, Alex! Thanks for sharing this with me :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Just this morning she came to me when I called her. She's come to me before, but it wasn't as deliberate as it was today. I completely gushed!! She responded quickly (seriously-just like my dog!), toddled out of her hiding spot, and came over to me quickly and directly, so I could pick her up and take her for a warm soak. I won't deny that she's always on the look out for a snack like members always talk about, but I LOVE that she knows that I am safe and is eager to see what good thing I am going to provide for her.

I loved your comment, Alex! Thanks for sharing this with me :)
That's very interesting. Mind you, I don't think that torts hear. Please don't take this personal. After a lot of research, I came to find that scientists and research give us conflicting info. I therefore tried my own way: after calling my tort, making different sounds and so on, I saw no reaction whatsoever.

Prairie Mom

That's very interesting. Mind you, I don't think that torts hear. Please don't take this personal. After a lot of research, I came to find that scientists and research give us conflicting info. I therefore tried my own way: after calling my tort, making different sounds and so on, I saw no reaction whatsoever.
No not at all!:) I'm new at this and have not studied reptiles. I've seen debates about tortoise hearing but don't have a clue for myself. She often behaves as if she is HEARING, so I'm very curious about that, but don't know enough to reach any conclusions. If she didn't hear me, she must have sensed I was there somehow and responded to me crouching over. Either way--LOVED IT:) Nothing makes you smile like having your tortoise toddling into your hands!!!:D

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Torts have a fantastic sense of smell. Perfume, soap, cigarettes or any other odor you may carry can signal them that "the food-bearer" is near. They don't hear very well. It's a physiological failing in their middle (or inner) ear.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Torts have a fantastic sense of smell. Perfume, soap, cigarettes or any other odor you may carry can signal them that "the food-bearer" is near. They don't hear very well. It's a physiological failing in their middle (or inner) ear.

Very interesting. They must sense vibrations through the ground incredibly well though, right? I've noticed this when approaching tortoises, even when being as sneaky as possible. For example, gopher tortoises in their burrows seem to sense you coming from about 40-50 feet, with no wind to carry smell and no sight of you.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I sneak up on the gopher torts here all the time. And, in reality, I don't even sneak up. They will race for the hole when they have decided it is time but it seems to vary greatly. I'm guessing if you see them, they see you. They do sense some vibration but I'm not sure it's a sense of great acuity. I am able to approach them on my tractor with the mower going and they don't seem to mind until they see the movement.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
No not at all!:) I'm new at this and have not studied reptiles. I've seen debates about tortoise hearing but don't have a clue for myself. She often behaves as if she is HEARING, so I'm very curious about that, but don't know enough to reach any conclusions. If she didn't hear me, she must have sensed I was there somehow and responded to me crouching over. Either way--LOVED IT:) Nothing makes you smile like having your tortoise toddling into your hands!!!:D
If a tort reacts as if it is hearing, this does not mean torts do hear-as you put it, they sense. I remember having learnt this at school: reptiles do not hear. Ok...back then there was no technology such as the net etc. We stuck to books and whatever the teachers taught us. But as I said: it seems to be true that they don't hear, they sense.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
That's not true. They have ears after all and some reptiles have very good hearing (e.g. crocodiles).
As far as I know, tortoises can only hear low frequencies.
This is not mathematics where 1+1=2. Scientists can disagree even here. Why would we keep receiving conflicting info?

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
My tort likes to play fetch :p I never taught her, she just starting picking things up and bringing them to me. Eventually I started throwing them, and she'd go fetch it. I use a walnut, good way to trim her beak and get exercise. She'll also walk circles around me and if I don't pay attention to her, she'll start to climb up on the side of my leg. So silly. She'll also itch her backside against furniture and my leg. I think she's smart in her own way.