Soaking Homeana

MayorMatt

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I was just curious, what are your thoughts on soaking homeana or other types of hingebacks? I did a quick (not very deep) search on soaking and there seems to be varied opinions.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I was just curious, what are your thoughts on soaking homeana or other types of hingebacks? I did a quick (not very deep) search on soaking and there seems to be varied opinions.
I dont soak my adults , but they have access to baths and I rain on them every other day.
I can't see any harm in soaking them though, I do it occasionally when I want to look them over. They like it very very very wet, it's action time for my males when we rain on them. Also I've noticed very rarely have i seen mine drink from the bath, but when I rain on them they drink from muddy puddles and sip the water off leaves and rocks, they also absorb water through the neck.
My 9 month old hatchlings get sprayed every day, I see them soak in the water regularly and I give them a bath at least once a week, usually twice.
I don't know what your hearing regarding soaking or not and what you are going to do, but I would create a very humid wet environment for them, they live in rainforests, marshlands and on river banks where things flood.
My own opinion is they are somewhere between a land tortoise and an aquatic turtle from what I've seen anyway, not saying they should live in water, but certainly access to plenty of water. NOT DRY.
This yr my project is to build a permanent area for my homeana outside, this will include shallow ponds.

MayorMatt

Georgia
Ok, I keep him very wet and he has access to his own soaking "pool" which he uses multiple times daily. I kinda feel like the less I bother him the better off he is.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Ok, I keep him very wet and he has access to his own soaking "pool" which he uses multiple times daily. I kinda feel like the less I bother him the better off he is.
Sounds like everything is fine to me.