Soaking ideas????

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Does anyone have ideas for a way to soak a 90lb sulcata.
A reminder about me, I am a double amputee. Right leg above the knee and right hand and wrist.
So it is impossible for me to pick up Opo.
Kiddie pools don't last long because of getting holes from Opo. I really don't want to make it out of concrete. Have heard situations where members ended up breaking up the concrete. Because their tort wouldn't use it.
I am thinking of something that I could broom the old water out.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You maybe could dig a hole in the ground to accommodate his size or a bit bigger and line it with heavy duty tarpaulin or pond liner, that would be a pool. I have one more sudden bright idea, but will wait for your response.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
You maybe could dig a hole in the ground to accommodate his size or a bit bigger and line it with heavy duty tarpaulin or pond liner, that would be a pool. I have one more sudden bright idea, but will wait for your response.
I was thinking about something like that. I wasn't sure I could keep the liner in place. When using a push broom to get the old water out.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I was thinking that if you can get a very large plastic storage tub that has wheels and is also not too deep, you could fit it into an appropriate size hole in the ground, fill it up. To clean it, bail out most of the water then pull it out and wash it? Also, if you could dig say an 8 inch deep trench that the wheeled tub can roll along and could be stopped at any point along the length of the trench, you could just roll it along the trench on its wheels to any new spot on the line? Maybe? But. Would the tortoise topple over on his back in the trench? That would not be good!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I was thinking that if you can get a very large plastic storage tub that has wheels and is also not too deep, you could fit it into an appropriate size hole in the ground, fill it up. To clean it, bail out most of the water then pull it out and wash it? Also, if you could dig say an 8 inch deep trench that the wheeled tub can roll along and could be stopped at any point along the length of the trench, you could just roll it along the trench on its wheels to any new spot on the line? Maybe? But. Would the tortoise topple over on his back in the trench? That would not be good!
I like the idea. Thank you, that's why I started this thread. I wanted to get other ideas.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My 100+lb sulcata only had the top of a garbage toter - the kind the garbage truck picks up with a grabber and dumps in the back of his truck.

shopping

I called the garbage company and asked if they had any old, broken toters where I could have a couple lids, and then I dug a depression in Dudley's yard and sunk the lid.

Dudley's waterer 3-12-14.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
My 100+lb sulcata only had the top of a garbage toter - the kind the garbage truck picks up with a grabber and dumps in the back of his truck.

shopping

I called the garbage company and asked if they had any old, broken toters where I could have a couple lids, and then I dug a depression in Dudley's yard and sunk the lid.

View attachment 371075
Thanks Yvonne, actually one of my garbage cans lid has a broken hinge.😁

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Both ideas are great. However, I would use Yvonne 's idea because it would be so much easier to rinse out with a hose and the water would heat up quicker. My opinion.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Both ideas are great. However, I would use Yvonne 's idea because it would be so much easier to rinse out with a hose and the water would heat up quicker. My opinion.
That's what I was thinking.