A Not So Good Updste On Our Rescue Senua

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
As backstory. I work with a pet shop in New York city who sometimes take in surrenders of turtles not in the best of health

One of those torts happened to be Senua.
20240307_081701.jpg
Senua came in with severe shell rot on the shell. Was quarantined and treated for a few weeks with a combination of chlorhexidine, soaks, and athletes foot cream as treatment.

It seemed to work, and even some of the experts I talked to agreed. However, the humeral scutes(front scutes) continued to peel. If figured the constant soaks contributed.

I stopped the soaks and finally let senua out to enjoy the summer. Senua has an outdoor enclosure, elevated, with a place to take shelter. I knew avoiding moisture was the key, but we just left the rainy season.

Senua stayed nice and dry in his hide and came out during the nice days. Now we are in extreme heat. Senua still eats, nice and heavy etc, but the front of the plastron continued to peel.

20240616_191648.jpg
I haven't checked the bottom in a few weeks as things seemed normal, and dealing with being human, but I tomorrow I'm going to contact a few professionals and a vet to seek some guidance. There is some dirt but this seems worst. I may have to put senua back on paper towels in the house for now, and go back to treatment. Not gonna send myself into a panic, just wanted to share.

Wish us luck!

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
There is a BIG change from pic 1 to the second pic, it seems the rot aggressively continued. I cannot imagine that it could continue much longer without it being fatal. Did you stop the antifungal treatment or did it just continue in spite of treatment? I will follow this and please keep us updated frequently, this is a great learning opportunity (sadly at the cost of this poor tort).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm guessing here, but I THINK the original picture shows dog chew and not shell rot. MAYBE antibiotics should have been administered instead of fungus treatment???????

If the dog damaged the blood supply to the shell that portion of shell would naturally die off. I THINK I'm seeing new shell in the next picture.

(what a pretty face!)

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I'm guessing here, but I THINK the original picture shows dog chew and not shell rot. MAYBE antibiotics should have been administered instead of fungus treatment???????

If the dog damaged the blood supply to the shell that portion of shell would naturally die off. I THINK I'm seeing new shell in the next picture.

(what a pretty face!)
It was believed to be shell rot but the humeral scutes never improved. I stopped the antifungal, but I'm going to continue.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
There is a BIG change from pic 1 to the second pic, it seems the rot aggressively continued. I cannot imagine that it could continue much longer without it being fatal. Did you stop the antifungal treatment or did it just continue in spite of treatment? I will follow this and please keep us updated frequently, this is a great learning opportunity (sadly at the cost of this poor tort).
I stopped the antifungal, but I've seen worst than this. I'll continue the treatment from here on out and speak with a vet, and a few pros

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I tend to go with Yvonne. It could very well be a bacterial infection and the antifungal treatment is not going to help. Of course, a proper reptile vet must be consulted if possible! Good luck and keep us informed please.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I'll add to the consensus of possible infection. It does look more like it was an injury not shell rot. I would believe an antibiotic is in order.
Sounds good. The issue with pet store taking in surrenders is that they have a no questions asked policy so we don't know much about tge animals past. We simply go off what we see.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Senuas going to be just fine guys, and I can't wait to show the progress here soon, "Not at the cost of the poor tort".😂. I'll update you guys in a month or so.
Sorry but it is at the cost of this "Poor Tort." Whether you want to admit it or not this tortoise is suffering and will continue to suffer until "Someone" gets it right. A big part of learning is to to be able to admit failure, mistakes and wrong diagnosis. Just because you have seen worse (not worst) doesn't lessen the suffering and pain this tortoise is going through. I may be wrong but in "My" opinion (which doesn't mean much) you seem to be unable to grasp the urgency of what you are dealing with. If a tortoise has to suffer any further than necessary that is a FAILURE, and if it is not recognized that is another failure at the cost of said tort. I genuinely want this suffering to end as soon as possible and wish you the best in treating the problem. I hope this is not taken as a jab at you or your efforts but instead as simply stating the facts of the situation at hand.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Sorry but it is at the cost of this "Poor Tort." Whether you want to admit it or not this tortoise is suffering and will continue to suffer until "Someone" gets it right. A big part of learning is to to be able to admit failure, mistakes and wrong diagnosis. Just because you have seen worse (not worst) doesn't lessen the suffering and pain this tortoise is going through. I may be wrong but in "My" opinion (which doesn't mean much) you seem to be unable to grasp the urgency of what you are dealing with. If a tortoise has to suffer any further than necessary that is a FAILURE, and if it is not recognized that is another failure at the cost of said tort. I genuinely want this suffering to end as soon as possible and wish you the best in treating the problem. I hope this is not taken as a jab at you or your efforts but instead as simply stating the facts of the situation at hand.
Everyone has a right to an opinion, and yours matters just as much as everyone else's.

However, you are wrong, the tort isn't suffering and is in fact showing signs of new growth. I always act out of urgency and do what I believe is best.

That doesn't mean that I'm always right; in fact, I don't believe I'm the best keeper or know it all, but I do take slight offense to you saying I'm not acting out of urgency. I always have and always do. I don't see an issue and run to post. I immediately seek the guidance of professionals, experienced, and trained, and wait for a response. Your experiencing the aftermath of me doing so.

I don't just sit around, I do all the research I can in the meantime. This animal was in this prediction long before it came into my hands. I have the situation under control.

Your always entitled to express your opinion, but always keep in mind, I'm the one who has to deal with the emotional and financial tole of treating the animal. I took on the responsibility because I believed I can help a negative situation. You adding on to the negativity doesn't help. I'm still human. Try to remember that.

This is all I have to say about it. I don't intend on, nor will I go back and forward with you. I have no hard feelings, and hope you feel the same.

Screenshot_20240618-132130_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In the case of a dog bite, there should be scratches or punctures on the carapace opposing this injury site. Is there any sort of trauma apparent on the carapace?

Fungal shell rot is just so uncommon in Russians, but I suppose it is possible if the animal were housed in continual wet filth before rescue.

I'm glad the tortoise is showing improvement.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
You have "Tortoise Experts" telling you things that it seems are being ignored. As I said I will follow any updates closely as I am not familiar with this and it is a great learning opportunity. It is obvious this tortoise is suffering if it becomes to much of a financial toll or emotionally too much to handle ship it to me, of course I'll pay any cost involved.