getting a 5 year old Sulcata and have questions

amglpn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SW Florida
I have a outside enclosure built already and want to use it for his home but need advice on how to make it usable for a Sulcata. It is 20x15 area with 10 foot ceiling, three foot of the walls are concrete with heavy duty wire screen from the concrete up to wood rafters and same wire screen on roof. The screen is covered in greenery but does let in light and some rain (rain at times) The area is 20x15 and it has two rooms with a door between i would take door off and make ramp to go between rooms. Any ideas and advice is welcome. A little history of the tortoise the lady has him living in a kiddie pool in her garage with heat lamp and coconut shavings as bedding and takes him outside 1-2 times a day to get sun and graze. At night she wraps a towel area him and lays him on heating pad in the house. She told me if he gets overheated outside he foams at the mouth so im nervous about him living outside but i dont think its good to be living the way he is??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Living outside is where one of that age should be, it's natural. Sleeping with a towel wrapped around him and on a heat pad is not only bad but very unnatural. As long as you provide lots of shade spots and water he should be fine. If you live where it gets really hot, like AZ and 100+ temps day after day, a misting system or a sprinkler will help cool things down. Even here in Chicago, I have a misting system for those really hot days, like today and probably tomorrow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First thing we need to know is where are you?

Next thing is what size tortoise? At 5 years old they can be a half pound or 50 pounds depending on several factors.

Third thing is the housing. Are you talking about some sort of outdoor barn? We need to see pics.

What they need is a large open area when're they can walk around and exercise. This are should have sunny and shady areas and a shallow water bowl sunk into the ground that is the right size for your tortoise. All plants should be identified and verified safe for the tortoise to eat. Having grass and weeds growing in there is a bonus.

Then, somewhere in this yard, there needs to be a heated night box for this tropical species. Something like this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

Here is some diet info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

amglpn

5 Year Member
SW Florida
Thank you guys for your help! I live in sw florida and temps are high 80-90s and very humid. He's 5 years old but the lady doesn't know how much he weighs but guess 15-20lbs( I don't have him yet) I would say his shell is size of large dinner plate. Does he have to have a closed box to sleep in? or can he have a heat mat and radiant heat panel set up in area where he can come and go?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Thank you guys for your help! I live in sw florida and temps are high 80-90s and very humid. He's 5 years old but the lady doesn't know how much he weighs but guess 15-20lbs( I don't have him yet) I would say his shell is size of large dinner plate. Does he have to have a closed box to sleep in? or can he have a heat mat and radiant heat panel set up in area where he can come and go?
You can make a box with a door so he can come and go as he wants. The walls of the box keep the heat in and make them feel secure. Even when I have the heat off, Charlie likes having walls around him. You can use a thermostat to keep it at the ideal temperature. You'll save energy with the walls to hold in the heat.