Soaking is stressful.

Anastasia 22

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello!
I read all the posts about tortoise soaking and I didn't see anything that said that soaking makes a Russian tortoise all stressed out. My boy hates water by all means. Soaking is a real problem for us. He can handle about 30sec and then he starts to panic. Actually, he is at about to pass out. I fill the tub with a warm water and it barely touches his chin.
When I saw him in a pet store he was really dirty and a sale person took him to the bathroom for cleaning up. I am not sure but probably my boy got some kind of psychological trauma connected to the bathing. And I don't know how to deal with it now. I just need an advice how to correct it. Thank you so much!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello!
I read all the posts about tortoise soaking and I didn't see anything that said that soaking makes a Russian tortoise all stressed out. My boy hates water by all means. Soaking is a real problem for us. He can handle about 30sec and then he starts to panic. Actually, he is at about to pass out. I fill the tub with a warm water and it barely touches his chin.
When I saw him in a pet store he was really dirty and a sale person took him to the bathroom for cleaning up. I am not sure but probably my boy got some kind of psychological trauma connected to the bathing. And I don't know how to deal with it now. I just need an advice how to correct it. Thank you so much!
Lots of Russians act that way. They behave like you just dropped them in acid. He's not going to pass out or be harmed in any way. Just put him in the water and walk away. I've been through this dozens of times. ALL of them get used to it, and its good for them. Don't let the tortoise dictate how its going to be any more than you'd let s child dictate it. Soaking is a lifesaver, literally. Your tortoise will get over it and eventually learn to love it.

Anastasia 22

Texas
Lots of Russians act that way. They behave like you just dropped them in acid. He's not going to pass out or be harmed in any way. Just put him in the water and walk away. I've been through this dozens of times. ALL of them get used to it, and its good for them. Don't let the tortoise dictate how its going to be any more than you'd let s child dictate it. Soaking is a lifesaver, literally. Your tortoise will get over it and eventually learn to love it.
Thank you!
I was so worried about it!

Anastasia 22

Texas

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He is so cute!😍 And he does not look happy surrounded by water 😁 Just like my boy.
My baby is still in a bad mood after soaking.... We're both Russians so I understand it 😃
That's funny, you're both Russian so you understand it
But yes, keep soaking. Maybe try a container he can't see thru. If you're using that now,try one he can see thru. Be sure the water isn't too hot, about 95F and fill it so it just comes above where the lower shell meets the top shell.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
He is so cute!😍 And he does not look happy surrounded by water 😁 Just like my boy.
My baby is still in a bad mood after soaking.... We're both Russians so I understand it 😃
Usually, I soak him in the morning before he is thoroughly awake and he handles it better. If I soak him later in the day, I would say he is absolutely pissed about it and he remains grumpy for quite some time.

Anastasia 22

Texas
That's funny, you're both Russian so you understand it
But yes, keep soaking. Maybe try a container he can't see thru. If you're using that now,try one he can see thru. Be sure the water isn't too hot, about 95F and fill it so it just comes above where the lower shell meets the top shell.
Thank you!
I tried glass container and he didn't like it. I tried bathtub and he hated it. All the time he shows me that he is going to die if I don't rescue him from the water. Well.... it won't work with me anymore.

Anastasia 22

Texas
Usually, I soak him in the morning before he is thoroughly awake and he handles it better. If I soak him later in the day, I would say he is absolutely pissed about it and he remains grumpy for quite some time.
Yeah... I wonder if our tortoises are brothers)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you!
I tried glass container and he didn't like it. I tried bathtub and he hated it. All the time he shows me that he is going to die if I don't rescue him from the water. Well.... it won't work with me anymore.
Yes leave him in it. You are putting human thoughts/emotions into it. He can't pretend to die and they won't pass out just from being in water.
Use a container he can't see out of and let him be. He will get good exercise from trying to get out and it not only hydrates then, but gets insides moving along.

Anastasia 22

Texas
Yes leave him in it. You are putting human thoughts/emotions into it. He can't pretend to die and they won't pass out just from being in water.
Use a container he can't see out of and let him be. He will get good exercise from trying to get out and it not only hydrates then, but gets insides moving along.
Thanks again! Now I feel better! I will use the bathtub then. He doesn't like small or mid size containers.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Mine always tries to frantically escape, but he is a bit better when I walk away. Also, I have found out he likes having warm water poured on him, then he calms down for a while. But overall in my experience it slowly gets better every soak.

Tappy_Tortoise

CA
Mine always tries to frantically escape, but he is a bit better when I walk away. Also, I have found out he likes having warm water poured on him, then he calms down for a while. But overall in my experience it slowly gets better every soak.
Pouring water over them isn't that bad of an idea. Might have to try it with mine. He does like watching me water his plants.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I would try that, when I soak my little Herman's I gently tip some water over her head and shell and she loves it she stretches her neck out so the water runs down her head...
Yeah, it probably reminds them of more of a natural way to get wet. I mean my dogs love walking in the rain but hate being bathed. Maybe it is similar here, a bit less scary.