Soaking Large Tortoises + Pigs Blanket

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldskyline

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

I have a question regarding soaks: my tortoise Sammy is about 120lbs and I'm wondering if you guys have a recommendation on soaking a tortoise that large? When he was younger I was able to lift him into baths but since he's been this big I mostly "soak" him with a hose (and of course he has drinking water, too). I've been looking online and I can't seem to find anything that would make it easier to allow him to actually sit in the water. Maybe a tub with a ramp? Or where the door to a tub opens?

Also, he has adequate heating in his home now but my vet suggested that he might really enjoy a pigs blanket. Do any of you have experience with that? Thanks in advance,

Lindsey

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rocklin, CA
Hi Lindsey- I have a Kane mat for my 70 lbs Tex and he loves it in the winter. I believe it is 18"x24" or 18"x36", I can't remember. As for soaking, I'm going to sink in the ground a kiddie pool. Others have gone the extra mile and built concrete walk-in pools for theirs. I think if you look up AZ Tortoise Compound in the search bar, I think had a thread with photos. Please forgive me if that's not the right member. Have you posted pics of Sammy? I'd love to see how big he is.
Jenni

coldskyline

5 Year Member
Thanks Jenni! I will definitely look into those ideas, I really appreciate it. So with the kiddie pool is are they able to just walk into it because the material is flexible? I think I'm going to get him the blanket-- how far under the ground do you put it? Sammy digs a little in his home & I'm not quite sure how to get it under the ground. Was it difficult?

Here are a few photos of Sammy from the last year or so:

sammy2.jpg

sammy3.jpg

sammy4.jpg

sammy5.jpg

Sammy1.jpg

LindseyBest_0006xr.jpg

:D

Thanks again for the info!!!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I use the stanfield mats. osborne-industries.com
they dont go underground.. mine sit on top of rubber stall mats in their houses. no bedding.
I have garbage can lids for thier water..

Status
Not open for further replies.