tortoise speak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
After Franklin pigs outs he usually will go lay out (spread eagle in a shallow thing of water:) under his basking lamp. Sometimes when he's doing this he opens his mouth and makes like a noise that sounds like a duck quack or some tree frog sound. He seems totally healthy, and I assume it's him working food down his throat. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It's really cute

Sammy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
Maybe respiratory infection, my tortoise eats well and has been doing that for over a month. Vet gave her antibiotics and so far had 13 injections, vet said some takes a few weeks to recovery, some takes months.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Was that the only symptom though? He only does it every once in a while. I hope that's not it, its always very warm in his cage

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
It started with that, then bubbles from the nose, tired all the time... But still eats well.

I thought the same thing too, I have a hot end (32 degrees) and a cooler end (28 degrees), but she it still happened, vet said can be many causes not just temperature. Best monitor and see, maybe I am over reacting.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I wouldn't worry just yet. While it is true that a squeaky sound could be a RI, it could just be sounds coming from the tortoise. As long as he eats, and has no other signs I would not worry.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ditto....woah relax on the RI. Tortoise make clicking, moaning, hissing and sometimes even sounds that remind of screaming....so if this is the only thing that is going on...and it happens in his spa time I would not be freaking out (no freaking out you hear :D)...as with any tortoise in captivity, it is our duty to pay attention to abnormal activity and such....a full tortoise, shlepping into his warm spa to spread out and get heated up....seriously....in the same situation I make some fun noises as well :p

If your tortoise is walking, acting, eating like a healthy tortoise...likely you have a healthy tortoise on your hands.... :D

badger16

5 Year Member
My Burmese makes the same noise! And its funny, I described it to my gf like a weird duck quack also, lol. I think it's really cute. I hope the others are right that it's nothing to worry about for both our sakes. :)

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Tell me about it badger16, no sick sullys! I first did freak (just a little) about an RI, but the way he looks and everything he does seems so healthylike that my mind is at ease. He is just such a joy <3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine occasionally do that too. It happens when they pull their head in kind of fast and expel some air. Its almost like a dog sneeze.

SpeedyGontortoise

5 Year Member
So Cal
I am so glad to hear other people talking about this. My Greek has been doing this lately. She will do it in her sleep, like she is dreaming and talking in her sleep. She will also do it when she is awake and you walk into her room. She will climb on her log and start making the noise so that you will pay attention to her. We have conversations making the noises back and forth to each other. I never thought I would "hold a conversation" with a tortoise. We have a great time. At first I was afraid that it was a RI but everything seems to be fine with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.