rakaabdi

Location (City and/or State)
Samarinda
Hi, so my tortoise got a flu and never touches the water dish. I keep giving water through it's food but to make sure that it's hydrated i was thinking about giving it soaks. Is it ok if i give a tortoise a soak if they're having flu? Thank u beforehand.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The flu? Tortoises don't get the flu
Yes he should be soaked daily for a tortoise upto a year or two old and then can be cut back to a couple times a week and adults can be cut back even more. If you think your tortoise is sick give us a run down of all temps and care.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, so my tortoise got a flu and never touches the water dish. I keep giving water through it's food but to make sure that it's hydrated i was thinking about giving it soaks. Is it ok if i give a tortoise a soak if they're having flu? Thank u beforehand.
I agree with Wellington.

What species are we talking about? What size and age? Soaking is always good for them. Be sure to keep the water warm for the whole soak.

rakaabdi

Samarinda
I agree with Wellington.

What species are we talking about? What size and age? Soaking is always good for them. Be sure to keep the water warm for the whole soak.
Hi, it's a sulcata. around 5/6 cm. I don't how old is it, but it's still a baby

rakaabdi

Samarinda
The flu? Tortoises don't get the flu
Yes he should be soaked daily for a tortoise upto a year or two old and then can be cut back to a couple times a week and adults can be cut back even more. If you think your tortoise is sick give us a run down of all temps and care
I give him soak for 10-15 minutes, the temperature is around 32.5 celcius.

The symptoms goes as the following:
Lethargicness, tears around the eyes, and bubbles popping out of it's nostrills and also it seems to be gaping for air.

I don't know what is it having, i'm not so sure.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It sounds like a URI, upper respiratory infection. He needs warmer temps and a vet visit to a good vet that has treated tortoises before.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I give him soak for 10-15 minutes, the temperature is around 32.5 celcius.

The symptoms goes as the following:
Lethargicness, tears around the eyes, and bubbles popping out of it's nostrills and also it seems to be gaping for air.

I don't know what is it having, i'm not so sure.
This happens when they are kept too cold. The minimum temp in the enclosure overnight should be around 27C. Then, during the day, ambient in the whole enclosure needs to rise to about 33C. There should be a basking area under a flood bulb that is about 37C directly under the bulb for 12 ours a day. All of this needs to be in a closed chamber.

Here is the care info:

And this one will have lots of helpful info too:

rakaabdi

Samarinda
It sounds like a URI, upper respiratory infection. He needs warmer temps and a vet visit to a good vet that has treated tortoises before.
I'll be going to the vet soon to give em a check up.

Can u tell me how do u keep a tortoise that is having URI?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The same way as a healthy tort but must keep him warmer at all times. Keep temps at 85 day and night with the 95-100 basking temp. Humidity 80% if it's under 3 years. If over 3 years humidity can be a bit lower but not temps ever. Once he has recovered 100% then temps can be lowered to 80 day and night or left at 85.
If that's what he has hopefully the vet will have a clue and treat it so it goes away.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'll be going to the vet soon to give em a check up.

Can u tell me how do u keep a tortoise that is having URI?
The vet is unlikely to be able to help you, and they often make things worse. They will likely attempt to treat the symptoms without addressing the CAUSE of the problem. They way they treat the symptoms is often the wrong treatment and can do harm.

This tortoise got sick because it is not being heated and housed properly. To cure it, heat it and house it properly, as I outlined for you in post number 7, with the increased heat the @wellington suggested.