Soaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Silly question maybe. I know that babies should be soaked daily in lukewarm water daily to keep them hydrated for 10-15 min. I believe I also read that some do not like to soak. My question is if they do soak on their own does that mean they have a hydration problem?

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I don't think so. I soak Tank daily but he still will gets in his water dish in his outside pen. He pees every day so I know he is hydrated.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Missy said:
I don't think so. I soak Tank daily but he still will gets in his water dish in his outside pen. He pees every day so I know he is hydrated.

Ok, thanks. Since my little guy has been having an eye issue I wanted to rule out it had anything to do with hydration.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
I'm wondering what to soak my Sulcata Tex Wasabi in. He's. 6 years old and 60 lbs. His former family brought his water dish which is about 24" in diameter and about 2" deep, but I don't feel it's deep enough. I'm just having issues finding anything larger or deeper. What does everyone with larger sullies use? I have seen him walk through his dish but not sit in it for any length of time and when it's been really hot (90+ degrees) either my husband or I will give him a shower which he seems to enjoy. I just want to make sure he's getting hydrated enough. Any suggestions?

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
At that size spraying is easier but a soak now and then is good. I have a hard plastic wine barrel liner that I got at Menards (like Lowes) A small kids pool would work too. You can get all sorts of tubs at farm stores that would work. I also have a 24'' water dish but I am looking for a shallow bird bath top for Lana. Also in winter time the saucer shaped sleds make great water dishes, I plan to get one this winter.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Great ideas for what to use to soak them in when they are larger.
This is a picture of my little guy using his soaking dish which is really sold at a cat bowl.

DSC01379.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
For my big guys, i use a plastic garbage can lid, make a slight indention in the ground and put the lid in it and fill with water.. Easy to clean..

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob is 80 pounds. I dug an indentation in the dirt and fill it daily. He also has a water dish he can drink out of. At his size I figure he is big enough to drink on his own. He rarely drinks from his mud wallow but does soak. When he needs a drink he uses his water dish. HTH

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
maggie3fan said:
Bob is 80 pounds. I dug an indentation in the dirt and fill it daily. He also has a water dish he can drink out of. At his size I figure he is big enough to drink on his own. He rarely drinks from his mud wallow but does soak. When he needs a drink he uses his water dish. HTH

Thanks Maggie! I was hoping you'd post. I knew Bob was bigger than Tex so I was really curious. Thanks again!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.