Soaking

Mattesj

Location (City and/or State)
Spain
I have seen a few posts about soaking Leopard tortoises. I wonder why. My tortoise hates to soak, I only soaked her when she was covered in poo. That was when she was little and kept inside.
She is pretty big now. She doesn’t like to be wet. She has the run of my yard and is always away from wet areas. She actually just left her favorite area because I was hosing it off. She was quite indignant that her favorite place got wet. I live in a hot dry climate and only bring her in when it gets really cold in the winter. She really hates it when I bring her in.
But back to my question. Why soak?

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Helps with hydration. I have yet to see my tortoise actually voluntarily drink in the years I have owned him, as the previous owner only offered lettuce and no water, so daily soaks are a must for us. Also, I soak him in the morning which helps him get up to active temp and stimulates his appetite.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have seen a few posts about soaking Leopard tortoises. I wonder why. My tortoise hates to soak, I only soaked her when she was covered in poo. That was when she was little and kept inside.
She is pretty big now. She doesn’t like to be wet. She has the run of my yard and is always away from wet areas. She actually just left her favorite area because I was hosing it off. She was quite indignant that her favorite place got wet. I live in a hot dry climate and only bring her in when it gets really cold in the winter. She really hates it when I bring her in.
Soaking keeps hatchling and babies hydrated. Because of their small mass, they dehydrate very easily. Most people tend to house them too dry and this makes it worse.

Why soak an older tort? Keeps them hydrated, and keeps the GI tract moving. Does no harm. Is it necessary? Define necessary. They can certainly survive without it in some cases, but I'm not interested in mere survival. I want my torts to thrive. Good hydration is key to thriving.

Why not make a proper heated shelter and leave the tortoise out full time? Does it snow in winter where you are? Below freezing for months on end? If not, make a night box to keep the tortoise warm on cold nights and cold days, and let it live outside year round. That is how I house all of my adults.

Mattesj

Spain
Helps with hydration. I have yet to see my tortoise actually voluntarily drink in the years I have owned him, as the previous owner only offered lettuce and no water, so daily soaks are a must for us. Also, I soak him in the morning which helps him get up to active temp and stimulates his appetite.

Mattesj

Spain
Reptile skin is impermeable to water, so I still don’t see how it can it help with hydration. Seems like a lot of work/care. My leopard tortoise drinks now and then, I keep water available for her most of the time. When I was a kid with a desert tortoise, they said that they get what they need from what they eat, so I don’t worry about it too much. Food seems to be whatever is low hanging in my yard. She likes leaves much more than grass. Unfortunately, she really likes to eat my Mellon and cucumber plants when they are not protected from her. She seems healthy enough.
I live in the South of Spain so that might make a difference. She tends to emerge in the late afternoon and likes to dig holes in summer, I suspect to keep cool.

Attachments

• 72C03005-7D2B-4B50-B03B-18700596BDC9.jpeg
    72C03005-7D2B-4B50-B03B-18700596BDC9.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 39
  • DEDEF480-D4C0-4EC6-AFB8-0B887132E2CF.jpeg
    DEDEF480-D4C0-4EC6-AFB8-0B887132E2CF.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 39

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
After a tortoise gets used to soaking he will learn to chill and drink then. The soft skin around the neck and cloaca do take in water. They do not get the needed amount of hydration from food. Just like us, tortoises need water. My kidneys are dying because I don't drink water, same thing with your tortoise exactly. You said "she seems healthy enuf". Seems? You came here for an answer to your hydration question. You've receive communication from our foremost experts.... so join in with us and hang out or a while and you will see just how important soaking is. My Sulcata loves to swim and she drinks a lot...yours could swim as well. I've seen several Leos
swim
100_5049.JPG

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
So, Maggie, You said your tort swims (I see the Pict), Is it floating, Is it buoyant in water?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A tortoise that is allowed to live a very dry life runs the risk of bladder stones.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Reptile skin is impermeable to water, so I still don’t see how it can it help with hydration. Seems like a lot of work/care. My leopard tortoise drinks now and then, I keep water available for her most of the time. When I was a kid with a desert tortoise, they said that they get what they need from what they eat, so I don’t worry about it too much. Food seems to be whatever is low hanging in my yard. She likes leaves much more than grass. Unfortunately, she really likes to eat my Mellon and cucumber plants when they are not protected from her. She seems healthy enough.
I live in the South of Spain so that might make a difference. She tends to emerge in the late afternoon and likes to dig holes in summer, I suspect to keep cool.
The idea that tortoises get all the hydration they require from their food is very old school. With our increased learning we're raising much healthier tortoises than were raised just a few short years ago.

Also, I read an article years ago written by a tortoise vet in Arizona (Dr. Jartchow) in which he said that tortoises absorb water through the thin skin on the under side of the neck and around the cloaca. So even if a tortoise doesn't drink the soak water, he still gets some benefit from soaking.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
So, Maggie, You said your tort swims (I see the Pict), Is it floating, Is it buoyant in water?
No, she walks in down the slope to the bottom, she stops in about the deepest part(knee high to me). She stays under not moving maybe 20 minutes when...she lets out her air in a blast, she starts kicking and paddling. She's got to be fairly buoyant tho to be able to swim with those flat feet...because AFTER she lets out her air, she makes it to the top. I just know it's cool!!!