Soaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Just wondering, how often should I soak my 2year old horsfield tortoise? The guy in the pet shop said 1-2 times a week. But some of you guys seem to do it more often? Does it matter how often you do it? She has access to water at all times but she only really seems to drink when I soak her.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
:rolleyes: Like we all really agree on anything? :D At that age, I might still be going two or three times a week, IF I don't see the tortoise using the dish on her own, if I have a lot of heat/UV lighting going on, and if her enclosure seems to dry out fast. Also sorta judging by what her urates look like. A lot would also depend on the water content of the food I am feeding. If your worried about her not being hydrated enough, then that too would say for you to give her another soak or two.

When you give her fresh water, is it given warm or cold?

I personally try to get them "weaned" off of me soaking them and instead having them making more of their own decisions as to when they need to soak. If they have an easy in and out dish of water, I really don't think they will not get their own water as needed. However, I have no problems with those doing the better safe then sorry way or those just needing a bit of reassurance they are getting their water needs met.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Jacqui spelled it out perfectly.

I think hatchlings and babies should be soaked everyday, but yearlings and juveniles don't need that unless you are trying to combat some sort of problem, like pyramiding or you just recently acquired a dehydrated animal.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Thanks for your help :)
Her fresh water is usally given cold, but because her enclosure is warm it usually becomes luke warm. I have never seen her drink out of her water, sometimes I think it evaporates due to her basking lamp being near. Her water is replaced about twice a day. I'm soaking her about 3 times a week at the moment because sometimes I worry she looks a little dry. As long as theres no such thing as over soaking them, as I worry about that too!!

Status
Not open for further replies.