Soft Shelled Leo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rice Ball

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm a new tortoise owner and I noticed a few days ago that Tamama's shell had become soft, well softer than usual anyway. He was about three months when I got him and that was four months ago.
He's been deteriorating since then. He's become soft to the touch (both carapace and plastron), there's discoloration and he's lost appetite and become lethargic.
I'm very worried about him obviously and I've been doing what I can and believe will help. Tamama is a very picky eater won't eat anything but spring mix and I've tried several foods like Mazuri, ZooMed Grassland, dandelions, collard and kale greens. Cactus and spring mix is about the only two things he'll eat and yes I've tried mixing the above with his staple food. Now that he's gotten sick he hasn't eaten.
I've been soaking him for two days now with calcium. I regularly soak him three times a week and sprinkle calcium to his food the same days. It's been about a week and I don't know what else to do. The temp is between 100 to 80 degrees with the humidity ranging from 30 to 60.
I apologize for the overload of info but I want to give as much as I can to help my little guy.
I thank you guys in advance.

Sent from my SGH-T879 using TortForum mobile app

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
You have two threads open on the same thing. Follow Tom's advice and the thread he asked you to read.

Rice Ball

5 Year Member
Yeah, I accidentally submitted it on the wrong one.
I use a mercury vapor bulb during the day for eight hours and at night I use an infrared for heat.

dar64

5 Year Member
I noticed you are giving spring mix. I think all the babies prefer the lettuce over the other greens. I changed to real green romaine as the base. It made a big difference. I don't think the spring mix has as many nutrients. Do you have the proper lighting ? I'm not sure what to do once they stop eating though.

Rice Ball said:
Hi, I'm a new tortoise owner and I noticed a few days ago that Tamama's shell had become soft, well softer than usual anyway. He was about three months when I got him and that was four months ago.
He's been deteriorating since then. He's become soft to the touch (both carapace and plastron), there's discoloration and he's lost appetite and become lethargic.
I'm very worried about him obviously and I've been doing what I can and believe will help. Tamama is a very picky eater won't eat anything but spring mix and I've tried several foods like Mazuri, ZooMed Grassland, dandelions, collard and kale greens. Cactus and spring mix is about the only two things he'll eat and yes I've tried mixing the above with his staple food. Now that he's gotten sick he hasn't eaten.
I've been soaking him for two days now with calcium. I regularly soak him three times a week and sprinkle calcium to his food the same days. It's been about a week and I don't know what else to do. The temp is between 100 to 80 degrees with the humidity ranging from 30 to 60.
I apologize for the overload of info but I want to give as much as I can to help my little guy.
I thank you guys in advance.

Rice Ball

5 Year Member
I read romaine wasn't as great but it was on a different site and being a newbie I was iffy about it but at this point just getting him to eat something will do.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
You want him to eat..once he is you can improve the diet.

"real green romaine" and spring mix are ok to feed BUT they should be at the bottom of the barrel of choices. There are far better foods to feed as a larger portion of the diet.

Since you are dealing with a soft shell, is there any way you can make an outdoor pen so he can get routine good old fashion sunshine?

Heather
sent while on my purple android TFOapp

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You may want to offer some strawberries along with the soaks I mentioned earlier.

Rice Ball

5 Year Member
Getting him to eat anything besides spring mix and the occasional cactus is a toughie. I know I'm not the only one dealing with picky eaters but yes I understand there are better foods to be fed.
Yes, I am able to build him an enclosure outside but it will take some time. He can use all the natural sunlight he can get.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Soft Shelled Leo

Rice Ball said:
Getting him to eat anything besides spring mix and the occasional cactus is a toughie. I know I'm not the only one dealing with picky eaters but yes I understand there are better foods to be fed.

Im glad you know this. I wanted to speak up against the advice to make green romaine your base of the diet...

Heather

Rice Ball

5 Year Member
How often should I offer the strawberries and should I stop with the calcium soaks and go with baby food?

All three of my leopards are picky though one will nibble on whatever I put in the food bowl for a taste. I went out earlier and bought a bag of kale. No lucky on getting Tamama to eat.

dar64

5 Year Member
Yes, I should have been more clear on that. I said as the base. Meaning the other greens are the nutritious greens. I have read that romaine(not the hearts of the romaine) the very green part is more nutritious than spring mix. I know it improved my little ones when I got them off the store bought spring mix.

Team Gomberg said:
You want him to eat..once he is you can improve the diet.

"real green romaine" and spring mix are ok to feed BUT they should be at the bottom of the barrel of choices. There are far better foods to feed as a larger portion of the diet.

Since you are dealing with a soft shell, is there any way you can make an outdoor pen so he can get routine good old fashion sunshine?

Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.