Solar meter model 6.5 or 6.2

DanH44

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse NY
Which model should I get to make sure my Russian, hermanns, and redfoot torts are getting the proper UV?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Which model should I get to make sure my Russian, hermanns, and redfoot torts are getting the proper UV?
As zeropilot said, you should get ONLY a 6.5 model. According to what I was told by the Solarmeter company engineer, the other models are not meant to measure artificial light and will not give you the correct UV reading for your tortoises.

DanH44

Syracuse NY

After reading the bottom of the page in this link is why I’m asking

zovick

10 Year Member!

After reading the bottom of the page in this link is why I’m asking
I'm not really sure what you are asking. There is a lot of info on the bottom of that page.

Do you want to know if you should get the 6.5 or the 6.5R Model? Both measure the UV in artificial light. It is just that the 6.5R has a graduated scale on it that corresponds with the Ferguson Zone info while the plain 6.5 just gives you a readout and doesn't have the reptile picture and Ferguson Zone scale.

DanH44

Syracuse NY
I'm not really sure what you are asking. There is a lot of info on the bottom of that page.

Do you want to know if you should get the 6.5 or the 6.5R Model? Both measure the UV in artificial light. It is just that the 6.5R has a graduated scale on it that corresponds with the Ferguson Zone info while the plain 6.5 just gives you a readout and doesn't have the reptile picture and Ferguson Zone scale.

Look at the FAQ section on the page. It compares the 6.5 and 6.2 and it is confusing to me

zovick

10 Year Member!
Look at the FAQ section on the page. It compares the 6.5 and 6.2 and it is confusing to me
OK, now I see what you mean. This is new info since I called them and bought mine a few years ago. When I called them, their engineer told me the only one which measured the UV output of artificial light properly was the 6.5 (or the 6.5R). Back then there was no such thing as a 6.2R. It looks to me as though they are trying a marketing ploy to sell people two Solarmeters when they only really need one. If it were me, I would buy the 6.5 model and be done with it.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
6.2 can be used to compare/track the output of the lamp over time. It's much more useful for that kind of testing than for what you need.

You should get the 6.5 or 6.5R.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The 6.2r is a meter that measures and gives readings in microwatts per sq centimenter - µW/cm²
The 6.5 is a meter that measures and gives readings in UVI - the ultraviolet index.
Both meters use an algorithm that reads a spectrum very close to the biological active UV levels we want to measure for D3 production. Both are far better than any other meter commercially available on the market.

The 6.5 or 6.5R is what we want as tortoise keepers. It is specifically showing us the UVI level we mostly now use to set proper levels for our tortoise. By comparing your reading over the months, you can easily see if the output is deteriorating and when it is time to lower the fixture to get the desired reading, or to eventually replace the bulb. It is the only meter you need for our purposes.

The 6.2 measures the intensity of the "light". The 6.5 gives you what that means as a UVI which we all use. I agree with Bill @zovick that the paragraph at the end of their spec sheet is more geared towards selling another meter!

Midlands, UK
Are these really really necessary? I am all about giving my baby tort the best life possible so will get one if I have to. They are so expensive and can't believe that every tort owner owns one? What level is correct UV?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Are these really really necessary? I am all about giving my baby tort the best life possible so will get one if I have to. They are so expensive and can't believe that every tort owner owns one? What level is correct UV?
You can't tell the level of UV that you have without one of these meters. Therefore, someone else telling you what the correct level of UV is means nothing unless you have a meter to read your light's output. That being said, I tried to get an average reading of 2.7 to 3.3 for my babies and 4.5 to 5.5 for my adults.

If you do get one of these meters, you will notice that the readings can vary from one spot under the light bulb to another. I used 4 foot fluorescent tubes and the readings at the two ends of the tubes were a bit different from each other and also different from the readings in the centers of the tubes. This is why I mentioned an AVERAGE reading.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM

Unfortunately with UV lighting, it's impossible to say what the actual level is without one, even for bulbs of the same brand, model, and size. There was a post on a Facebook Reptile Lighting group where a member installed a new bulb that measured a whopping 50+ UVI. In case you have not looked into UVI levels, this is astronomical; our tortoises need about 2-6 UVI max, which is about what the bulbs on the market put out. This bulb was obviously defective in some way. Imagine not knowing that the bulb was defective and putting out huge UVI levels and placing your tortoise in the enclosure.

I'd say your best bet would be to borrow a friends UV meter or get the tortoise outside for 3-4 times per week or whatever is recommended for your species according to the care sheets. Otherwise, buying the UV lights, fixtures, and meter are the way to go.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No they are not. You can guess and hope for the best. Many people do.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I think of it as an investment, because over time I will save money on the lights that I can measure and replace accurately vs me changing them out every year without knowing the UV output.

For my arcadia t5 bulb, I have had it for well over a year and it is still emitting a good amount of UV, thus I did not replace it on the 1 year mark as I have without a solarmeter reading. Bulbs are pretty expensive themselves and the tortoise should live hopefully for 2-4 more decades. I expect to save well over $200 on bulbs using this.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
I purchased an Arcadia T5 UV light for my Sucata, withiut having a solar meter at the time. I took a guess hunging the light about 12 inches above my Tortoise. He would not go near it while
it was on, so I want online an ordered a Solar Meter 6.5R. When I received the meter I found out that the light was to close to him which at that time I raised his light up to 18 inches. The meter gave me a safe reading at that height and my Sucata loves his light. I know thing are expensive but if you want the best for your tortoise you will get a meter. Look around Online, one evening on Amazon I seen a Solar Meter 6.5 for $249.00. I put in in my shopping cart for order. The next day, I went to order it and seen there was a special on a Solar Meter 6.5R for $194.00 , so you know which one I bought. To be safe you need a meter, Happy Shopping

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Unfortunately with UV lighting, it's impossible to say what the actual level is without one, even for bulbs of the same brand, model, and size. There was a post on a Facebook Reptile Lighting group where a member installed a new bulb that measured a whopping 50+ UVI. In case you have not looked into UVI levels, this is astronomical; our tortoises need about 2-6 UVI max, which is about what the bulbs on the market put out. This bulb was obviously defective in some way. Imagine not knowing that the bulb was defective and putting out huge UVI levels and placing your tortoise in the enclosure.

I'd say your best bet would be to borrow a friends UV meter or get the tortoise outside for 3-4 times per week or whatever is recommended for your species according to the care sheets. Otherwise, buying the UV lights, fixtures, and meter are the way to go.
I had a similar experience when testing some MVB bulbs that I'd purchased.
They are wildly varied in output and prone to fluctuations even with just a single bulb.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I think of it as an investment, because over time I will save money on the lights that I can measure and replace accurately vs me changing them out every year without knowing the UV output.

For my arcadia t5 bulb, I have had it for well over a year and it is still emitting a good amount of UV, thus I did not replace it on the 1 year mark as I have without a solarmeter reading. Bulbs are pretty expensive themselves and the tortoise should live hopefully for 2-4 more decades. I expect to save well over $200 on bulbs using this.
My meter has shown me that my Reptisun T5 5.0 have drastically diminished in UVB output after just 4 months.
A test of Reptisun 10.0 is ongoing.
At this point, I'm seriously thinking that Arcadia are slightly more expensive...And probably much longer lasting. Actually making them cheaper.

Attachments

• 20201008_132710.jpg
    20201008_132710.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Think about it this way:
It's just above the cost of a vet exam with an x ray and a stool & blood sample test.
And its something that you're going to keep forever and use over and over for the life of your tortoise.
Or you.

thompsono

Pacifica and Oakland, CA
@ZEROPILOT - that is good reasoning! Thanks for making this point

I'm on the fence here since I try to give my young tortoise about 2 hours per week (30-45 minutes at a time) of sun outdoors. I am in a fog zone in coastal california though and need to research UVB and cloud cover ... but for now I just use incandescent bulbs in indoor closed containers for heat and light, and rely on outdoor sun.

BTW I see the 6.5 and or 6.5R go on sale sometimes so if anyone sees that, would be great to post to the forum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@ZEROPILOT - that is good reasoning! Thanks for making this point

I'm on the fence here since I try to give my young tortoise about 2 hours per week (30-45 minutes at a time) of sun outdoors. I am in a fog zone in coastal california though and need to research UVB and cloud cover ... but for now I just use incandescent bulbs in indoor closed containers for heat and light, and rely on outdoor sun.

BTW I see the 6.5 and or 6.5R go on sale sometimes so if anyone sees that, would be great to post to the forum!
The fog and the marine layer do filter out some UVB, but more importantly, its cold up there where you are for much of the year. Their skin needs to be warm for the UVB to work its magic. This is why we usually tell people to mount the indoor UV near the heat lamp. Putting a tortoise outside on a foggy or cold cloudy day is pretty pointless.

Indoors you should really have more ambient lighting too. The incandescents are usually in the 2000-2500K range and relatively dim. You want some LED lighting in the 5000-6500K range to brighten it up and make it look like a sunny day in the indoor enclosure.