Solar Pond Pumps?

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Alright, this isn't for a water turtle...
But I figured that I could get some great advise here!
You guys KNOW ponds, and I need help with a soaking pool for Rufus.
Due to living in south Texas would like to have moving water in his soaking pool. It will be a grade of 2"-8" deep and hold 100 gallons give or take.
I have been looking at solar pond pumps online, and have been getting mixed reviews. I have found a few with battery backups, but I don't want to shell out $150 just to have it crap-out within a month. I understand that with solar it will not run through the night and that suits my needs. I just need it to run during the heat of the day. I was wondering if anyone has used them in the past or currently? Do you love them? Or was it a waste of time and money?
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Solar Pund Pumps?

I don't have experience with good ones, but years ago I bought a cheapy that looked like a water lily. I just wanted to add a little aeration to the water. It lasted about a week.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I use a wide variety of pumps, but I have never used a solar one before. I look forward to learning if anyone has experience with them as well. I will say though, that I personally wouldn't buy one if I saw it.

Any idea what you will use to filter the water? Or is this just to keep it from becoming stagnant?

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
I bought a solar fountain pump years ago. It would have lasted longer if I hadn't have left it out in the freezing cold over winter. It had a filter bit, so there's that.

If you look after it you should be ok. Solar has come a long way since I bought mine, so panels should be of a higher quality for same price.

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
I will construct a filter box around the pump to collect larger debris. But it will mostly be used to keep the water from becoming stagnant. And help keep the mosquitos down. There is no outlets in my backyard so solar is a must. I guess I will continue researching and keep you guys posted. :)