Solar Raptor/Mega Ray update

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoiseboy8o8

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oahu
I have updates on their current product for those who are interested. I bought two SB100watt bulbs in the begining of July of this year. Bulb #1 lasted me from July 11th to Aug 28th. This is nowhere near their warranty garuntee, it should've lasted me at least till February. I'm currently running bulb #2 and I'll update anyone whos interested.

Being as anal as I am I did test the actual UVB output on these bulbs brand new when I first recieved them with two different lamps. Exo Terra 7.5" dome with polished dome and Zoo Meds deep dome.

Bulb #1 which recently died on me had readings from my Solar Ray 6.2 and using Zoo Meds deep dome it read @ 12" which emitted 290/cu2, @ 15" it read 176/cu2 and @ 18" it read 121/cu2. With the Exo Terra I got @ 12" read 250/cu2, @ 15" read 168/cu2 and @ 18" read 122/cu2. I was pleased with these #'s because they are very close to what they are claimed to put out.

Bulb #2. Zoo Meds deep dome @ 12" read 56/cu2, @ 15" read 31/cu2 and @ 18" read 18/cu2. Exo Terra @ 12" read 81/cu2, @ 15" read 48/cu2 and @ 18" read 18/cu2. I was very disappointed in these #'s because they were nowhere near claimed output!! I'm currently running this bulb with my setup since although the #s are poor, they still put out more than my Powersun100w ever did.

I'm not even gonna bother trying to get a refund or a replacement from all the reviews and stories I've heard and read. I'll just take my losses and move on if bulb #2 fails on me in 6 weeks like #1 did. Powersun's #'s aren't as great but at least I know the bulb will last me at least 6 months.

Hope this helps with anyone whos interested in trying out their bulbs. Bulb #1 readings were great but so far it seems they dropped the ball on delivering a bulb that lasts with their newly designed product.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would agree with cutting your losses,thanks for the info

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I can't believe that this guy is still in business. He must have screwed over hundreds of people by now.

tortoiseboy8o8

5 Year Member
Oahu
I agree. The first bulb that I was running produced outstanding #'s and didn't decay much. But from what I've read and experienced, they don't last nearly as long as they should. I'm really disappointed because I only want whats best for my torts. They do get real sun at least 4 times a week but the thought of their bulb putting out UVB close to the sun eased my mind when they're inside.

falconut

5 Year Member
They apparently have decided that their best move it to have their customers eat the cost of the bad bulbs. I paid $50 for a bulb to last a month and never was offered a replacement. They used to be good, but not anymore. I've sent them several emails and they've never responded.

I wouldn't recommend buying their new bulbs. They got my money once and they're not getting it again. I'd prefer not to get burned again. Just pick one of the reputable brands. I went with Zoo Med Power Sun, but there are others to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.