Some Chaco Tortoise breeder?

torkoal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mexico City
hello

Well I have not posted much in these forums.

I wonder if there is any Chaco tortoise breeder in America or in another country? or be different ... where an importer that bring the Uruguay ?.

greetings :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are a couple members who have them, but the only one I know who has breeding pairs is @tortadise .

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
hello

Well I have not posted much in these forums.

I wonder if there is any Chaco tortoise breeder in America or in another country? or be different ... where an importer that bring the Uruguay ?.

greetings :)
Welcome. Chacos rarely get exported out Uruguay. They are a protected species down there. So only farm raised specimens can get valid cites. Which exporters from Uruguay got in trouble back in 2005 for falsifying cites papers so the ministry of agriculture got very strict. They come out though. Just have to know the right people. They're quite rare here in the United States. Most unfortunately perish because they're kept wrong. On top of that. There winter is opposite our summer. So they can be very difficult to adjust to captivity. They take quite a while to sexually mature too(15 years or more) also on top of that, they're eggs take quite a long time to incubate too(8-14 months) and lay small clutches. So definitely a hard to find species. Very cool though. One of my favorites.

M

Maggie Cummings

Welcome. Chacos rarely get exported out Uruguay. They are a protected species down there. So only farm raised specimens can get valid cites. Which exporters from Uruguay got in trouble back in 2005 for falsifying cites papers so the ministry of agriculture got very strict. They come out though. Just have to know the right people. They're quite rare here in the United States. Most unfortunately perish because they're kept wrong. On top of that. There winter is opposite our summer. So they can be very difficult to adjust to captivity. They take quite a while to sexually mature too(15 years or more) also on top of that, they're eggs take quite a long time to incubate too(8-14 months) and lay small clutches. So definitely a hard to find species. Very cool though. One of my favorites.

Did I ever tell you I have a friend in Colorado that has a Chaco? I'm so obsessive, I know I could raise up a good one.....I really want one. I'm real good at head starting babies. I used to take 15 to 20 or less Gopherus agassizii for my sis and head start them for a year. They are so fragile as babies. I would rather have a pile of needy babies than an adult. Babies need so much care and they are so much fun. If your Chaco's need head starting I'll send you my phone number and first child...:rolleyes:

torkoal

5 Year Member
Mexico City
tortadise, whom do you mean by knowing the right people? ... I think it's very difficult, but not impossible :). the truth is a species grateful to have. Out of difficulties. Unfortunately every time I seek information from any legal hatchery in South America I always redirects to pages with positions against exotic pet ownership.

Maggie, because here in Mexico and are more legal hatcheries (UMA) of Gopherus, there are one or two of Turtle Texas. there are plans to make one of G. flavomarginatus. The one which does not know any nursery is the G. morafkai, but a matter of time for someone to give you permission.

Now, is not there in America itself this may not be reproduced for sale.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Did I ever tell you I have a friend in Colorado that has a Chaco? I'm so obsessive, I know I could raise up a good one.....I really want one. I'm real good at head starting babies. I used to take 15 to 20 or less Gopherus agassizii for my sis and head start them for a year. They are so fragile as babies. I would rather have a pile of needy babies than an adult. Babies need so much care and they are so much fun. If your Chaco's need head starting I'll send you my phone number and first child...:rolleyes:
:) yes indeed magginator. You will for sure be on the list of rearing some.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
tortadise, whom do you mean by knowing the right people? ... I think it's very difficult, but not impossible :). the truth is a species grateful to have. Out of difficulties. Unfortunately every time I seek information from any legal hatchery in South America I always redirects to pages with positions against exotic pet ownership.

Maggie, because here in Mexico and are more legal hatcheries (UMA) of Gopherus, there are one or two of Turtle Texas. there are plans to make one of G. flavomarginatus. The one which does not know any nursery is the G. morafkai, but a matter of time for someone to give you permission.

Now, is not there in America itself this may not be reproduced for sale.
Well they don't have a numerous farms and or many farms that will even export them or want to. Finding valid sources for legal specimens is very difficult. They're a critically endangered listed species in Argentina so conserved quite well down there. Lots of conservation groups have steared locals from hunting and eating the, to protecting them. They occur in unique ecosystems and those lands are rapidly being developed and destroyed. If you know any importers/exporters from Hong Kong that may be your best bet. I'm not sure of any here. Every time I ask the importers here always end up empty handed and the deals fall through. But from time to time they do come in small numbers,

Fede

hi, here in Uruguay there are not natives, we don´t have native tortoises, normally here are smugled from argentina. But there are some legal breeders of that species. You can find the very cheap but most of them die. They are pretty hard to keep but on the other hand i heard about people having them on a backyard without any consideration and have them +20 years. They tare very prone to respiratory issues and as desertic species the bad feeding hurts them even more. my opinion try to find a captive hatch near to you, that would be the key to success keeping one. Breeding its another con.. they mature very slow (+8 years) and lay very big but a few eggs. I think between 1 to 5...

coloto

Hi everyone,
I'm from Spain and here, There are one breeder, but as tortaise said, it's a very complicate specie. I guess that the first animals were imported years ago from Argentina or Chile, and now all the newborns are spaniards.

Regards