Some gopher tortoises

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Is there no end to human stupidity? :(
Classic example of "good intentions" versus "results". I know I'm hell bound no matter, but still get to control "intentions" and seek "results". Though not mutually exclusive, they do seem to run apart from each other to a great extent.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
you are telling me you have NEVER seen a wild box turtle Or water turtle...
Never seen an eastern box turtle in the wild here in Michigan. :( Would love to someday!! I know their numbers have decreased greatly in the past few years, mostly due to habitat loss from human development. I've probably seen all our aquatic turtles outdoors at some point though. Not always "fun" to see the mighty snapper though...!

Paul M Jones

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Point Pleasant, NJ and Jonesboro, GA
when I used to live in Georgia, it was pretty rare to find box turtles except on rainy mornings when they'd be crossing the road. Now in NJ I work around the pine barrens and I see them everyday. I have a couple box turtles that I rescued. One I rescued on the side of the highway, a car hit it and his shell was slightly cracked. I've had him for 20 years now. And another I rescued from a coyote. Both are doing great.

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
I have never seen a wild tortoise. I live in the UK so it would be concerning if I did see one out in the street! Lol :)
However it is a dream of mines to see a wild tortoise and I'm visiting Florida in September for vacation. Is there anywhere close to Orlando I could drive to with the hope of seeing a wild Gopher tortoise? I would really like to see one if I'm lucky enough

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I believe you won't have an issue seeing a gopher tortoise in central Florida. I have 4 burrows on my property alone . .. And have one just outside the gate that most mornings I have to wait for him to get in before closing the gate ..

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
I believe you won't have an issue seeing a gopher tortoise in central Florida. I have 4 burrows on my property alone . .. And have one just outside the gate that most mornings I have to wait for him to get in before closing the gate ..
Would that be the case in Orlando as well though due to it being heavy with tourists?

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
All over Florida around state parks. I recommend Myakka state forest, it's about 2 hrs south west towards sarasota from Orlando. But on another note, you can find them around orlando by lake Apopka
Great advice! Thanks so much. I don't mind making the 2 hour drive if it means getting to see some wild tortoises - thanks for your help :)

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Would that be the case in Orlando as well though due to it being heavy with tourists?

Might have to drive out a bit.. 10-20minutes and find a field... If the sun is out the tortoises will be out..there protected..it's a crime to disturb them....I brought a piece of property to flip with a modular home... Building inspector came to inspect and had me stop work because there were two tortoise burrows under the trailer... We came to an agreement.. I lhad them leave one panel off the skirting so the tortoises can come and go as they please..

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
Might have to drive out a bit.. 10-20minutes and find a field... If the sun is out the tortoises will be out..there protected..it's a crime to disturb them....I brought a piece of property to flip with a modular home... Building inspector came to inspect and had me stop work because there were two tortoise burrows under the trailer... We came to an agreement.. I lhad them leave one panel off the skirting so the tortoises can come and go as they please..
I totally respect and appreciate I can't disturb them and I don't want to disturb them at all. It's one of the reasons seeing a wild tortoise is a dream of mines - because they are wild that's what makes it so special and I wouldn't want to take that away. Maybe a dozen pictures :)

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
Thanks guys! Feels like it's going to be much easier to see them from what I initially anticipated :) I'll let everyone see the pictures when I get back - really exciting. Everybody from Florida or anywhere else in the world where there are wild tortoises are very lucky!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I totally respect and appreciate I can't disturb them and I don't want to disturb them at all. It's one of the reasons seeing a wild tortoise is a dream of mines - because they are wild that's what makes it so special and I wouldn't want to take that away. Maybe a dozen pictures :)
Same here. I'm just fascinated watching torts going about their day! :<3:
Thanks guys! Feels like it's going to be much easier to see them from what I initially anticipated :) I'll let everyone see the pictures when I get back - really exciting. Everybody from Florida or anywhere else in the world where there are wild tortoises are very lucky!
Can't wait to go to Florida myself. I love the palm trees there and Key West was pretty awesome! No idea when we'll be planning our Florida trip.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Is there a state/national park in Florida that has a larger population of gopher torts? If so, I'll add it to my list of destinations for my next Florida trip!! ;)
Fern Forrest nature center has a VERY large population.
It's in Broward county. Coconut Creek Florida or further up near Cape Canaveral, they are every where.
Look for scrub areas. Dry. Flat and sandy with lots of plants.
you won't find them just any place, but when you do find them, you'll see a lot of them.