Some gopher tortoises

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Heard something that Florida fish and game are going to start putting signs up to show people the difference. I can't understand how people don't know the difference. Though I'm sure it's all good intentions, it's sad to see people are accidentally killing them
It should be simple, since touching either species is strictly against Florida law!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Fern Forrest nature center has a VERY large population.
It's in Broward county. Coconut Creek Florida or further up near Cape Canaveral, they are every where.
Look for scrub areas. Dry. Flat and sandy with lots of plants.
you won't find them just any place, but when you do find them, you'll see a lot of them.
I like the looks of it! :) Even the Google Maps photos has a gopher in one.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Right behind my brother in laws house is the Myakka state forest in englewood
I love that place! I was just down there, my grandparents and parents both have places in the area. I kayaked in Myakka Lake with the gators!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Never seen an eastern box turtle in the wild here in Michigan. :( Would love to someday!! I know their numbers have decreased greatly in the past few years, mostly due to habitat loss from human development. I've probably seen all our aquatic turtles outdoors at some point though. Not always "fun" to see the mighty snapper though...!
They don't like lead in their water and high unemployment:)

Paul M Jones

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Point Pleasant, NJ and Jonesboro, GA
Well tomorrow is the end of our Florida west coast trip before we head to Disney. I literally found hundreds of gopher tortoise burrows. But the weather was extremely hot. So most were hiding. Saw one today at the dunes by the beach, he was being watched by the sheriff. The pic of the tort in the burrow was the one in my brother in laws back yard. image.jpegimage.jpeg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Well tomorrow is the end of our Florida west coast trip before we head to Disney. I literally found hundreds of gopher tortoise burrows. But the weather was extremely hot. So most were hiding. Saw one today at the dunes by the beach, he was being watched by the sheriff. The pic of the tort in the burrow was the one in my brother in laws back yard. View attachment 167088View attachment 167089
Awwww, sounds like they're doing well though. :D