Some questions

AnimalLady

How long is a hatchling considered a hatchling?

How many hours a week would you put your hatchling outside to get some rays if he/she doesn't use a uv bulb?

If you were to build an outdoor enclosure for a hatchling, would it start small then grow with the tort? Or would you make it large from the get?

Right now I have the tort inside in a 24"L x 16"W plastic tub because it's so small. I'm using coco coir and moss as substrate. I have a 60w CHE going and it's set to 80*F. This is going to sound stupid, so bare with me. When I use the temp gun I'm getting different readings all over the tub..lowest reading being 76. Is this ok? Also, the substrate is pretty moist, is this ok? Can I keep this CHE on 24/7?

How long will it take for me to see what I'm doing is good, regarding pyramiding? I read that it's caused by humidity and how well the tort was started out. What do they mean by started out, like, how long.. A month after hatching, 2 months? 3?

I'm scared of raising a bumpy tort :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Bumpy torts are still great torts, but I get what your saying. If it were me, I would build a large outside enclosure, but divid a smaller portion of it off for now, and then move the divider as he grows. as for temps, they will get a degree or so lower away from the heat source. Yes you can keep the Che on day and night if needed. Cold and humid/damp will make your tort sick. With higher humidity you want to keep the temps close to 80

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I like Wellingtons idea of a larger pen with a section corded off for now because a small tortoise can flat out disappear in a larger enclosure.
If this is your new Redfoot baby, keep in mind that even though they don't dig, they will scoot under or climb over about anything.
As far as "starting" out. I'd say that the first year or year and a half would be critical to keep up higher humidity to guard against pyramiding.
A one year old Redfoot is still pretty small and I usually move mine outside 24/7 at 18 months to two years old.

AnimalLady

Well, this baby isn't 1 year old... He is 3-4months and I'm freaking out.

I have yet to put him outside, he's living in my kitchen! I'll get him out this weekend so I can be home and observe.

Thanks guys ;)

Alaskamike

South Florida
You asked about how much UV they need. If you can get him in real sun 5-6 hours a week that should do it. ( IMO ) if I could do that a UV light is not needed.

At the age of your baby I would not worry about the pyramiding starting - even if it has. They correct quickly at that age. The worry about pyramiding has an underlying issue and that is metabolic bone disease. It takes time for that to develop - more than a few months. However , the reason it is asked how they were started , is due to some breeder practices that dehydrate babies and cause problems from the get go. Especially with the desert species.

As long as you provide the basic needs - light , heat , UV, food, hydration and exercise your baby should thrive & be healthy.

The extreme focus on bumpiness stems from the knowledge that we all raised our tortoises too dry. Now we understand they need humidity + heat and water to thrive. I've taken on several " bumpy" torts who are very healthy , and one little Redfoot that is not ( but is improving)

Don't panic over it. I'm sure you will give great care. That is the focus.

AnimalLady

You asked about how much UV they need. If you can get him in real sun 5-6 hours a week that should do it. ( IMO ) if I could do that a UV light is not needed.

At the age of your baby I would not worry about the pyramiding starting - even if it has. They correct quickly at that age. The worry about pyramiding has an underlying issue and that is metabolic bone disease. It takes time for that to develop - more than a few months. However , the reason it is asked how they were started , is due to some breeder practices that dehydrate babies and cause problems from the get go. Especially with the desert species.

As long as you provide the basic needs - light , heat , UV, food, hydration and exercise your baby should thrive & be healthy.

The extreme focus on bumpiness stems from the knowledge that we all raised our tortoises too dry. Now we understand they need humidity + heat and water to thrive. I've taken on several " bumpy" torts who are very healthy , and one little Redfoot that is not ( but is improving)

Don't panic over it. I'm sure you will give great care. That is the focus.

Thank you Mike!
I completely underestimated the size of this tort. When he arrived i was shocked at how tiny he was! I guess i'm just nervous, it sits heavy on me that he depends on ME to provide what he needs to grow right.
Eh, i'll pick up on it.

Thanks again! :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Well, this baby isn't 1 year old... He is 3-4months and I'm freaking out.

I have yet to put him outside, he's living in my kitchen! I'll get him out this weekend so I can be home and observe.

Thanks guys ;)
Hi. How about posting pic(s) of your new little tort?:)

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
How long is a hatchling considered a hatchling?

How many hours a week would you put your hatchling outside to get some rays if he/she doesn't use a uv bulb?

If you were to build an outdoor enclosure for a hatchling, would it start small then grow with the tort? Or would you make it large from the get?

Right now I have the tort inside in a 24"L x 16"W plastic tub because it's so small. I'm using coco coir and moss as substrate. I have a 60w CHE going and it's set to 80*F. This is going to sound stupid, so bare with me. When I use the temp gun I'm getting different readings all over the tub..lowest reading being 76. Is this ok? Also, the substrate is pretty moist, is this ok? Can I keep this CHE on 24/7? :(
If you wanted a quick and easy "outside enclosure" I bought one of these wading pools from walmart and Speedy just loves trucking around in it ! Just a thought . :)

100_7389-jpg.149848

AnimalLady

If you wanted a quick and easy "outside enclosure" I bought one of these wading pools from walmart and Speedy just loves trucking around in it ! Just a thought . :)

100_7389-jpg.149848
Thats a great idea actually!

This is the enclosure i've built the little guy, but i'm going to section it off so its not so huge for him and he doesnt get lost :)

IMG_0156.JPG

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Congrats!! My RF had the fold too. He's 5 now and you can barely see it.

Your baby is really cute!