Something going on with his left eye

Location (City and/or State)
Peru IN
He will open his right eye constantly but he acts as though he has something in his left eye. We have been soaking him, dribbling water over that eye (which afterwards for about 10 minutes he opens it like a champ!) He is able to open it other times to clarify but it's like it bothers him and he'd just rather not so he won't and it worries us. There is no crusties or anything obvious or weird discolorations. He is young but not sure exact age as they didn't know when we got him. We've had him about 3 wks. His shell measures at 2 1/4 inches if that helps with his tiny size. So tips as to help Mr. Turtle (yes she named him from my name is earl [emoji23][emoji23]) the tort out would be greatly appreciated it TYIA!20180806_111826.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome!

Maybe there's a scratch on the eye. You can buy one of these products:

eye ointment b.jpg eye ointment a.jpg

The blue one MIGHT be found at a pet store (otherwise online), but the other is by prescription, so has to be from a vet. The blue one would be soothing and help the scratch heal.

You just put a little bit on the eyelid then try to gently rub it with a Q-tip. It will find its way onto the eyeball.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
What are you using for lighting and substrate? You'll want to find the source to prevent these problems from occurring again.

Peru IN
Sorry I didn't see these replies!! For some reason the app wasn't notifying me [emoji29] thank you so much for your replies and I will surely check into this! Also going to get him some cypress mulch bedding and see if that helps any. He has a day uv bulb and a night bulb as well.

Peru IN
What are you using for lighting and substrate? You'll want to find the source to prevent these problems from occurring again.
Sorry I didn't see these replies!! For some reason the app wasn't notifying me [emoji29] thank you so much for your replies and I will surely check into this! Also going to get him some cypress mulch bedding and see if that helps any. He has a day uv bulb and a night bulb as well.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell

Can you be more specific? Exactly which type/brand/model of light bulbs/tubes are you using in the enclosure?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
They aren't those spiral bulbs tho, they are solid bulbs too just fyu

Is that top screen or panel's dimension about the size of your entire enclosure? If so, that's way too small; even for a hatchling. There would not be much space for different heat zones. That hatchling would have nowhere to go to escape that basking light. A hatchling should have at least a 4-5 x 2-4 feet enclosure so they do not feel cramped/stressed from a lack of space.

The picture is only showing us the light fixtures you're using. I'm asking specifically as to the type/brand/model of light bulbs you're using. Is your night bulb colored and if so, what color?

Peru IN
Is that top screen or panel's dimension about the size of your entire enclosure? If so, that's way too small; even for a hatchling. There would not be much space for different heat zones. That hatchling would have nowhere to go to escape that basking light. A hatchling should have at least a 4-5 x 2-4 feet enclosure so they do not feel cramped/stressed from a lack of space.

The picture is only showing us the light fixtures you're using. I'm asking specifically as to the type/brand/model of light bulbs you're using. Is your night bulb colored and if so, what color?
The night bulb is a bluish purple, the tank I believe is a 25 gallon and the top is screen. He's getting a huge 75 gallon tomorrow. He also has a log to hide under and water to walk in as well as drink.

Peru IN
The night bulb is a bluish purple, the tank I believe is a 25 gallon and the top is screen. He's getting a huge 75 gallon tomorrow. He also has a log to hide under and water to walk in as well as drink.
I'm not home right now so I don't know the specifics of the bulb

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
a 75 gallon still isn't huge. A good enclosure is 4 feet by 8 feet. You can't achieve that in a tank. You would do better using a large plastic tub. The top shouldn't be screen. It needs to be covered to keep the humidity inside. The heat light you use at night shouldn't be a light at all. You should use a ceramic heat emitter. It is a bulb that only produces heat, not light. They last much longer than light bulbs.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Peru IN

The bulbs. And his new enclosure (panorama view) 75 gallon.20180813_113700.jpeg20180813_113802.jpeg20180813_113924.jpeg20180813_003612.jpeg