South american setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

un-loco

5 Year Member
So I have been looking into natural South American flora to set up our outdoor habitat. Aside from the fact that he doesnt know he is from South America nor what he is missing, I think it would be a fun project and maybe somehow bring out the inner lion in him (or me)! lol

So I have done slight research and found myself buried in scientific names and nothing like "Lowe's carries these which are from south america"

I dont pay for water, so I can keep it as humid and wet as need be. Has anyone tried something like this, and how hard was it to acquire the plants used? I cant make seeds grow, i am impatient and.. I just want some plants to plant and replace when he destroys them kinda thing, but not just the normal Lowe's plants that I already use.

Hopefully you understand my goal here. Im looking for a project, and If possible out of the million plant species, how the heck do i tell which ones are native to SA?

EKLC

5 Year Member
where do you live? your climate will determine the sort of plants that will grow

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
You would be surprised what South American plants Lowes carries, many cactus and bromeliads are from there, but my favorite South American plant ( used manly for shade) is found at the food store, Malanga it looks like an elephant ear, it is in the family Aracea but it is an Xanthosoma not a Colocasia, if you are in a colder climate they may over winter with mulching, that's what I have to do to keep them for the next year, or you can buy new root stock each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.