[split]my rescued tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kk1221kk

5 Year Member
image-568397583.png

This is Cheetah, our first tortoise! A BMT, probably brown, not sure of the age. The rescue we got him (or her) from couldn't tell us much beyond the type of tort he is. We are in South Florida and would like to grow much of his food as well.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
RE: Emys fed mostly home grown foods

Kk1221kk said:
View attachment 37425

This is Cheetah, our first tortoise! A BMT, probably brown, not sure of the age. The rescue we got him (or her) from couldn't tell us much beyond the type of tort he is. We are in South Florida and would like to grow much of his food as well.

This is a polyphemus. Not a BMT at all. Some folks are almost guaranteed to give you crap over this for legal reasons. I personally do not care, though.

Kk1221kk

5 Year Member

I am curious as to the reasoning behind your assertion that he is a Polyphemus. If you are indeed correct, I am grateful for the observation, however those are native to the area we live in and the rescue we got him from only adopts out non-native species, plus they are very familiar with gopher torts, as they encounter them frequently. The herpetologist they consulted identified him as a Burmese. Also, what folks do you refer to and what possible legal implications?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida

I posted that because the appearance (forelimb, rear foot, carapace, and skull/face) in that photo is consistent with a polyphemus and not consistent with an emys. Perhaps it is the photo if you doubt this. If so, provide a photo of the front (facing the camera) and the rear (facing away from the camera) so we can see the face, the forelimb scalation, and the rear limb scalation and tubercules. Other shots can be used, too, but those I mentioned should be plenty for confirmation.

The folks I refer to are forum members who like to heavily harp on the legality regarding the protected status of polyphemus in FL you just paid mention to. I like to live and let live in many situations. Others may feel differently. Some folks take very hard stances on CDT discussions, so those same folks would likely do the same for those involving polyphemus.

As for the ability of many would-be/should-be authorities to provide proper identification, I would not hang my hat on that. Even here, for an easy example, a great many people cannot identify species, sex, or sometimes overwhelmingly apparent WC instances. Frankly, most people seem to be plain bad at it. I make occasional mistakes, too, but I am talking about a handful or less of such mistakes in around 26 years of doing this.

Anyhoo, some photos ought to clear it right up, although I doubt it will change what I have already observed via the photo thus far provided.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio

I have to agree. Based on that picture, it looks nothing like the Manouria.

Kk1221kk

5 Year Member

Well, we went to the vet who confirmed your assertion. I am grateful for tortoise forum and your observation. Apparently there was some debate at the rescue center as well based on a couple of unusual features she has. Regardless, we are happy to have her and plan to give her a good, safe home. She was brought from the wild to the rescue center in poor condition by someone who found her near the road. She is very docile and the vet believes this is due to the fact that she was probably raised mainly as a pet and was either abandoned or escaped. We are going to obtain the permits necessary to keep her since the vet believes she will not thrive in the wild and should not be re-released. Thank you for your insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.