Spraying With Water

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hello guys. I spray my tortoises and their enclosure in order to increase the humidity. The spray bottle I use pulverizes the water and I was wondering would there be any problems if my tortoises inhaled it. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230430_124853.jpg
    20230430_124853.jpg
    677 KB · Views: 4

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hello guys. I spray my tortoises and their enclosure in order to increase the humidity. The spray bottle I use pulverizes the water and I was wondering would there be any problems if my tortoises inhaled it. Thanks.
Maybe if you tell us more about your torts - their age and species with pictures of them and the enclosure to give an idea of the torts and enclosure size, more experienced members could give you a more detailed answer.
I know humidifiers etc that give out steam/spray aren't recommended because of the risk of them inhaling the fine droplets and causing RI.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When misting or spraying an enclosure it should be done with warm water. Humidifiers aren't recommended but for those that do use them, they need to be the warm ones, not the ones that just sprays cold water.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No problem using that sprayer, but you are going to wear out the sprayer and your hand pretty quick with that tiny little thing. You can get hand held pump-up type sprayers at Home Depot that are MUCH easier to use.

I recommend de-mineralized water for spraying unless you want hard water stains on your tortoise and enclosure. Reverse osmosis, rain water, or distilled, all work well for this purpose. Use "regular" mineralized water for drinking and soaking though. I use my sprayer with de-mineralized water to rinse the "hard" water off of each tortoise after a soak.

OIP.DQYqWxm8Y7KHcxWZDHEG_AHaHa.jpeg