Stanley & Dorothy

Julie Godfrey

Location (City and/or State)
Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
These are my little babies.
Please could someone advise me. My tortoises are about 15 months old. Please can someone advise what is the right weight and length for them

Attachments

• IMG_1144.jpg
    IMG_1144.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 80

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are indeed Russians. I think you already know that though. They should not be kept in pairs if you are. They are very scrappy tortoises and will fight and bully until one is sick or dead. Of if male and female the male will try too breed her to death.
It's hard to say how big they should be. They all grow at their own pace and depends on care, diet, etc. As long as they keep gaining and growing they are doing fine in that department.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome! Don't worry about size per age. They all grow at different rates. As long as they're active, bright eyed and eating good, you're good to go!

Julie Godfrey

Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
They are indeed Russians. I think you already know that though. They should not be kept in pairs if you are. They are very scrappy tortoises and will fight and bully until one is sick or dead. Of if male and female the male will try too breed her to death.
It's hard to say how big they should be. They all grow at their own pace and depends on care, diet, etc. As long as they keep gaining and growing they are doing fine in that department.

Hi wellington

Thank you for the advice.

Just inherited George picture attached not sure what spur thigh he isIMG_1255.jpg

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
It appears to be Testudo graeca ibera but if you can post a full carapace and plastron shot I’ll know for sure.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
It’s looking to be female but it’s very, very young. Ibera can get very large, some of our females are 11”. Kale and pellets should only be offered occasionally. Broad lead weeds, certain flowers and other plants should make up the bulk of the diet. Hibiscus flowers and leaves, clover, mulberry leaves, ribwort plantain, broad lead plantain, catsear, sow thistle, strawberry plant leaves, vetch, and Mazuri Tortoise diet (in moderation) is a good way to get started.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Too small to sex right now. Looking female, but they all look female until they're nearly mature

Kale may be fed in moderation, but shouldn't be a staple of any torts diet.

Take a look at The Tortoise Table Plant Database - it has an online search where you can check the greens that you can buy, and those that grow around you, for suitability to feed.
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is a beautiful new tortoise. Now you need three enclosures! :)

Looks like you've gotten some of the typical bad pet store advice. That substrate is dangerous and its too dry too. Encouraging tortoises to eat their sandy substrate to satisfy their calcium cravings with those limestone bits is a horrible idea. You should change that ASAP. I prefer coco coir for smaller Testudos and fine grade orchid bark for larger ones.

GIve these a read through for more helpful info:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/