Star Tortoise and Rain

akeedmusic

Location (City and/or State)
Maldives
Hey guys i Have a Pair of Female Star Tortoises in Maldives. Ive had them since i was 10. Theyre 21 Years old this year.

My question is i keep them outdoors and whenever it rains especially Heavily, i bring them in and place them under The heat Lamp. But then they go out again in the rain.

Now do i force them under the light and place them in a tub or just let them enjoy the rain?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hey guys i Have a Pair of Female Star Tortoises in Maldives. Ive had them since i was 10. Theyre 21 Years old this year.

My question is i keep them outdoors and whenever it rains especially Heavily, i bring them in and place them under The heat Lamp. But then they go out again in the rain.

Now do i force them under the light and place them in a tub or just let them enjoy the rain?
For me it would depend on the temperature when it's raining. You've raised them for years and if it's working so far, why change?

akeedmusic

Maldives
For me it would depend on the temperature when it's raining. You've raised them for years and if it's working so far, why change?
Got kinda scared when I found out about their lifespan. Don’t want them to get sick and just want them to be fine you know what I mean ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Maggie. It depends on the temperature when its raining, and also, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

akeedmusic

Maldives
Not sure why you are bringing them in?
Early this year, the rain got a little bit crazy and the temperature dropped. A First for Maldives. The weather always hot and Humid with cool breeze. After that crazy weather, one of them got pneumonia. Had to inject antibiotics. sHE recovered really quickly and quickly got her strength back. Couldn't even get her out of her shell to inject the antibiotics. That was after a few days. Told the vet that i stopped giving antibiotics and the vet agreed that we didn't have to finish the medicine. Been paranoid about the rain ever since. Love my girls so much (Both the Tortoise are girls, Assiya & Aisha). Ill post a picture of them soon.

Thanks guys for the help, appreciate it ??