Star tortoise care

sachit wagle

Hey guys, i have a pair of indian star tortoise, dont know thier genders, assuming them to be around 2-3 months old, What should be the minimum dimensions of the enclosure, Also the enclosure will be in my verandah, so should i provide them with UV light and heat bulb because there will be enough sunlight. And do they need light at night? (2) Should I soak them daily?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Here is how to set them up and care for them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
It says its for sulcatas and leopards, but I raise my stars exactly the same.

They should not live as a pair. They will watch need their own enclosure, or you will need to add another one or two.

They should not live outside on your veranda because babies need the stability of an indoor enclosure. The temperature and weather extremes are not good for them. Having a baby enclosure outside in direct sunlight full time is a dangerous practice. They can easily over heat and die. Babies should only be outside for an hour or two a day at most.

Yes, you should soak them daily.

They do not need light at night, but they do need warmth. Their enclosure temperature should not drop below 80.

Here is another thread with more tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

sachit wagle

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

They should not live as a pair. They will watch need their own enclosure, or you will need to add another one or two.

They should not live outside on your veranda because babies need the stability of an indoor enclosure. The temperature and weather extremes are not good for them. Having a baby enclosure outside in direct sunlight full time is a dangerous practice. They can easily over heat and die. Babies should only be outside for an hour or two a day at most.

They do not need light at night, but they do need warmth. Their enclosure temperature should not drop below 80.

I live in india, so the temperature never drops below 80, and I am getting and enclosure made soon. :)

sachit wagle

Also, at what age do stars become adults, that is, at what age can they have an out door enclosure, and be in sunlight all day?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Also, at what age do stars become adults, that is, at what age can they have an out door enclosure, and be in sunlight all day?
Maturity comes with size and not age. They all grow at different rates due to variations in diet and where they live, so we can't really say when they become adults.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't want to leave them outside all day until they were around 400-500 grams. And even then it would be weather dependent.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I live in india, so the temperature never drops below 80, and I am getting and enclosure made soon. :)
It's not just the minimum temperature, but as Tom said, the stability of the temperature and humidity. IN the sun, or under a light, the humidity in a tank or enclosure can drop significantly, and these tortoises need high humidity to stay healthy. IN the wild, they would be pushed deep into high grass or bushes, still wet with morning dew, or the afternoon rains. They thrive in those humid conditions. In an artificial enclosure, it will be much drier than that unless you specifically do things to bring the humidity up. They also will suffer greatly from stress if not given hides in which they can feel secure. I put pots of overhanging plants with mine, and they spend most of their time pushed under those overhanging plants as they would in the wild. Secure, and more humid. The pots are heavy enough to not be tipped over, and high enough so they will eat what they can reach, but can't get to the whole plant. In my enclosed chambers, I hang a boston fern from the top of the enclosure. Boston ferns do great in indoor situations and artificial light - and is good food!. They can walk under the hanging pot, but the fern drapes over a large area. They will nibble it and trim it, but it creates a nice overhang.

Also keep in mind that sunlight cannot pass through anything to still be an effective source of UVB. Glass, plastic or screens will filter out the UVB and the tortoises do need at least a few hours a week of good UVB exposure. UVB will reflect, though, so don't worry if your tortoise is under a hide or plant, in the shade but full sun is around it. There will be enough reflected UVB to do the job as long as it is near full sun. This is important since you tortoises will overheat easily in full sun if part of the enclosure is not shaded.

sachit wagle

Hey guys, today after soaking my stars, i saw that there is some while things coming out of one of them, is this normal? Adding picture for convenience.

image.jpg

Dan

5 Year Member
Indiana
You're seeing urates. That is normal when soaking.