Star's average age

Tes

Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
Hi! I know there isn't much information/knowledge out there regarding the age of some tortoise species in captivity. However, I was just wondering, based on the experiences of other star owners, how old do you think they will approximately get in captivity? Given that they live in good and healthy circumstances of course.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi! I know there isn't much information/knowledge out there regarding the age of some tortoise species in captivity. However, I was just wondering, based on the experiences of other star owners, how old do you think they will approximately get in captivity? Given that they live in good and healthy circumstances of course.
No one knows. There is no way to know yet.

What causes the visible effects of aging in humans and dogs and other animals is our telomeres unraveling. This doesn't happen in tortoises. I read an article that speculated that turtles and tortoises live until something kills them. There have been several cases of 180+ years and one verifiable case of one that was 280+. All of these were wild collected adults when the count started.

Even if a breeder is keeping careful records today, where is that data stored, and how will that data get transferred to whatever sort of device is in use 10 years from now or 50 years from now. It wasn't that long ago that we didn't have cell phones or computers. I can't even imagine what technology will do in 100 or more years. And when the person that is keeping all that data dies of old age, who will keep transferring the data onto each new type of device. Just in the last 20 years we've gone from floppy discs to zip drives to thumbnails to the cloud. Where will data be stored in 20 years. Will today's data transfer to whatever format the new storage uses? Its quite literally unimaginable.