starting this years new enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseMike

5 Year Member
Hey all; my wife and I have decided that our torts deserve an upgrade in their digs. So we(I) am building new enclosures for all. Before, we had a forty by thirty foot square that was our Russians outside home. They go out everyday 8 Am till 8 Pm. Then at nite come in and they all sleep parked like Volkswagen's in their forty gallon sleeping enclosure.
But since getting Frekka and Sully, our Sulcata's... And all the research we've been doing.... Building permanent outdoor enclosures for all! A more natural life fully outside

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'd love to see it when its all done. How many russians do you have? Get many babies?

Be careful offering your sulcatas a "natural life". There is much dispute over exactly what is "natural". For many years it was assumed hot and dry was natural for them, because the above ground weather in their range is hot and dry for part of the year. But for a third of the year its hot humid and rainy, with green everywhere. Also, during the hot dry part of the year they are down in their warm humid burrows almost all of the time. They seldom walk around out in the conditions that we all tend to associate with their range. This is all adults I'm talking about here. No one even knows where the babies go or what they do, but they are NOT above ground in the hot dry air.

Just some food for thought.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Would love to see pics too :D. Check out the thread at the bottom of my post. Great info for one of the ways to raise a smooth sulcata.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Forty by thirty sounds very good. Can't imagine what you are moving on to and can't wait to see pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.