Still hiding...

lilT

I don't know if this is "tortoise health" but I feel like this is the best category so...
I had written before about Sheldon (now Bernadette...I know, I know) wasn't coming out and was hiding all day. He/she is just a little hatchling and is a red foot tortoise. The enclosure is 80% humidity and the warm side is 90-95 degrees and the cool side is right around 80 degrees. I had to put a tiny humidifier in the enclosure to get the humidity up and that is staying pretty consistent. I am turning the temps down at night, as was recommended.
I also changed the water dish and now have a ceramic heat lamp instead of the infrared one. I have a long tube UVB light as well.
I just don't understand why she's hiding so much. I know she is just a little baby, but shouldn't she be coming out a little? She doesn't even come out to eat. I have to pick her up to put her by her food, then she'll eat like a champ but goes right back to hiding when done. What am I doing wrong here??

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
It's worth confirming your temperatures with another thermometer, but baby tortoises hide. If she's eating and she isn't too cold, I would give it more time. Hatchlings hide out of self preservation. It's hard to convince them it's safe at that size because they're easy prey.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Can you post a picture of your enclosure? If its all glass and she can see out that might make her feel exposed. I don't remember if your was. But, babies do hide a lot especially in a new environment.

lilT

It is glass but I have the back covered up. I can most definitely try putting some on the sides as well. She has been with me for about 2 weeks now, is that still "adjustment time"? I just want to make sure she isn't sick. I have been trying to read everything I can.
I need to read more on how moist/wet the substrate should or needs to be. I know it shouldn't be wet or moist on the cool side but that's all I know so far.
Thank you for your insight! I'll try covering the other 2 sides or even all 4 and see how she does.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Two weeks is very much still in the adjustment period. It's good to confirm there are no other issues, but she'd likely be hiding at these stage anyway.

lilT

I cannot tell you what a relief that is to me! I do hold her a little every day but not too much so I don't stress her out. I just love watching her when she eats too. She's so darn cute!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I taped newspaper a few inches up on mine so I could see in but he couldn't see out. He came out more after.