Still No Name

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm new here and a new Hermanns tortoise mum as of a week last Friday. I just can't think of a name for her! She was going to be Cilla because she was a complete surprise (Cilla Black - Surprise Surprise tv show) but she just doesn't look like a Cilla lol. Any suggestions will be most appreciated, as for now she's still 'the tortoise' or no name

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcome. They certainly do rule! She's brought such a lot to my life in 9 short days :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
And she'll keep bringing it for years ;)
Surprise is actually a legit name, so... :p How about Pandora (like pandora's box, cause she's a surprise?)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Let's see some pics. I have 2 that after getting to know them, I changed their names. Welcome to the forum.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I have Hermanni too and we LOVE them.

Hello and Welcome to the forum. Good to have you here.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414997617.092389.jpg

This is her enjoying her soak in the sunshine before I thought she was trying to drown herself. I know im biased but I think she's just adorable!

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Here's another because such a proud mother lol
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414997821.506512.jpg
A small snack after her swimming lesson lol

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414997863.626464.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome. I'm also in between names since my wife called our newest female RF "Shelly". I still haven't convinced her that that is a super common tort name. Unfortunately, it's probably gonna remain Shelly. Personally, I'd prefer "She who is nameless."

katfinlou

5 Year Member
From a purely personal point of view i was thinking I should call her kiss me. Then if she ever needed to see our incredibly handsome tortoise vet, when he calls out "kiss me" Id be only too happy to oblige lol

katfinlou

5 Year Member
I agree though that shelly and Sheldon seem to be incredibly popular. Im looking for something quite different. At this rate she will either stay 'no name' or end up spot of fido lol

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Hermione?

What are you using for substrate? Those white specks concern me.

Rather than feeding on newspaper, use a slate or a flat rock.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
This is the substrate I got...ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1415021814.940830.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1415021827.600647.jpg

Im finished with the pet shop guy. He's sold me a tortoise table that's way way to small, pellet substrate, the substrate pictured above, a spiral uv bulb and told me to feed her all the wrong stuff. I thank god for this forum or we would have been in a right mess!

katfinlou

5 Year Member
I put the news paper down when feeding to stop her ingesting the substrate, is that not good?

phebe121

I like the name kiss me that so cute im just thinking of.the vet yelling that out how many will say yes lol

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
It carries its own dangers. I'd be more afraid of the paper shredding due to claws & beak than the substrate... assuming you're using the right stuff. Those white pellets: what are they? Perlite isn't digestible and it is attractive. The substrate could also be less dry. Using a slate or flat rock instead aids in beak trimming. Or use a paper plate or a cat dish. I feed mine on the substrate directly.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
According to the description the White stuff is limestone grit and calcium in case it's digested... I only leave the paper down while she's eating it's not there all the time

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Am I right in thinking I need a spray bottle of some sort them to moisten the soil/sand substrate too?