Stink

Huw

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool
Hello!

We have had beautiful Monty (7-year old Hermann) for nearly three weeks now and the last week or so his tortoise table home has really started to reek.

We have coco coir with a top layer of orchid bark.

We spot clean a couple of times a day, and Monty himself is lovely and clean.

Is it normal for substrate to stink after only a couple of weeks?
Might there be a less stinky substrate to use?

We have seen precious few poos, so unless he is eating it all, might he be burying it??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What does it stink like? Sour substrate? Poop? Rotten food?

Huw

Liverpool
Hi Yvonne,

Its not old food cos he make sure we clear that.

I don't know what Torty poops or sour substrate smells like.

But maybe I'm finding out!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Substrate that is too wet and never allowed to dry out will sour. It smells. But poop and pee smells like a barnyard (not an unpleasant smell to those of us who like horses and cows)

Huw

Liverpool
Ok, well I'll get fresh substrate - but I thought it was better to keep it damp?!

Souptugo

5 Year Member
Hi there what is your enclosure made of? I use coco coir as well and it doesn't smell. I also have plants in the enclosure which I handmix the substrate to turn over dead stuff on the surface.

It might be the enclosure material itself vs the substrate?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
For what it's worth all of my tortoises pee as soon as they go to sleep and depending on what they eat it can have a pretty strong smell. - that could be soaking into the substrate and making a smell as well.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I also use coconut coir. My hatchling will be 2 in November and has been on the same substrate almost since hatching. I have a leopard and the substrate has never been dry. It does have a smell now, but not like anything bad or rotten and the humidity is high.
I have found though, that dry loose coir has a smell to it that smells like manure when the bag is first opened and then for about a week or so.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
The poop smells literally horrendous, so you might just be smelling that. I spot clean the cage for poopies so that it won't smell so bad. Also, what are you feeding them? I discovered that asparagus makes a tortoises pee smell just like a humans. :eek: And something is making her cage smell worse lately, I think it's probably the turnip greens.

Huw

Liverpool
The poop smells literally horrendous, so you might just be smelling that. I spot clean the cage for poopies so that it won't smell so bad. Also, what are you feeding them? QUOTE]
Hi there what is your enclosure made of?

It might be the enclosure material itself vs the substrate?

Upon cleaning out the old substrate I did find a few hidden poos. We feed him a mixture of weeds (dandelion, plaintain) and shop bought romaine, watercress and rocket. Tried to get him to eat Artichoke but it was too tough for him. He did a wee on the floor on Saturday and it didn't smell at all.

The enclosure is made of oak, I think. It does look rather stained. maybe we should treat it?