Stinky tortoise -

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Hi, I love my tortoise, Ormond, but my goodness his poop smells bad! He is 3 years old and has the following diet:

Mazuri pellets
Endive
Dandelion greens
Romaine lettuce
Green and red lettuce
Raddichico (sp?)
Red cabbage
Kale
Bok choy
Swiss chard
Clover

We have to go away for a couple nights but he does have my friend who will check up on him. I have to clean out his poop everyday. Is this normal that he stinks up an entire room? He gets mazuri pellets everyday. Is this why he smells so strong?

I honestly don't care but I'm worried my friend will vomit. My husband dry heaves, lol.

Any suggestions how to keep the stink down? Thanks! oh and here is what Ormond looks like.

Attachments

• 20160731_155846.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25

Alec

Hi, I love my tortoise, Ormond, but my goodness his poop smells bad! He is 3 years old and has the following diet:

Mazuri pellets
Endive
Dandelion greens
Romaine lettuce
Green and red lettuce
Raddichico (sp?)
Red cabbage
Kale
Bok choy
Swiss chard
Clover

We have to go away for a couple nights but he does have my friend who will check up on him. I have to clean out his poop everyday. Is this normal that he stinks up an entire room? He gets mazuri pellets everyday. Is this why he smells so strong?

I honestly don't care but I'm worried my friend will vomit. My husband dry heaves, lol.

Any suggestions how to keep the stink down? Thanks! oh and here is what Ormond looks like.

Nice and healthy looking Hermann, all my tortoises poop smell bad, I have 6 different species and all of their poop stink.
I soak them in warm water every morning for 1 to 2 hours, when they poop in the water the smell will be greatly reduced and when they are used to doing their daily business in water they will not poop again in their enclosure, that is how I keep their enclosure and rooms free from stink.