Stolen Tortoise in Northern Cali

diggermom

Location (City and/or State)
redding, ca
HI, I'm brand new here. My Leopard tortoise got stolen in northern California in early May. I have been looking high and low on craigslist, posted on several city sites, the police have been notified, keep looking daily on several selling sites (Morph Market, The Turtle Source, Lil Reptile). I have been told it was probably taken to southern California to be sold, but I'm holding out hope that someone local kept it and maybe someone else will turn it in for the reward money.

I've read the threads here about ways to look for them, but does anyone have any other suggestions? Where else could I look? I'm just sick about this!

Thank you for any help you can give.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post on every tortoise and turtle forum. Signs around neighborhood. Update everyone you contacted in the beginning so they know you are still looking and it brings it back into their thoughts.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Sorry to read, this hope it shows up. As mentioned put notices up where you can and if you have a reptile shop mention it to them. Good luck

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
You should be able to look on craigslist no matter where you are and look for local tortoises. I do see leopards on craigslist pretty regularly…

Did they say why they thought Southern California?

diggermom

redding, ca
Post on every tortoise and turtle forum. Signs around neighborhood. Update everyone you contacted in the beginning so they know you are still looking and it brings it back into their thoughts.
Thank you for your recommendations! Do you have any specific forums you recommend?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you for your recommendations! Do you have any specific forums you recommend?
Any neighborhood ones you may have.
I don't really know of any other tortoise ones as I only come here. But you can Google them. There may even be so local ones to you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
HI, I'm brand new here. My Leopard tortoise got stolen in northern California in early May. I have been looking high and low on craigslist, posted on several city sites, the police have been notified, keep looking daily on several selling sites (Morph Market, The Turtle Source, Lil Reptile). I have been told it was probably taken to southern California to be sold, but I'm holding out hope that someone local kept it and maybe someone else will turn it in for the reward money.

I've read the threads here about ways to look for them, but does anyone have any other suggestions? Where else could I look? I'm just sick about this!

Thank you for any help you can give.
Why do you think it was stolen vs. lost? What size leopard tortoise was it and where was it when it disappeared? Do you have someone on video taking it? Was it loose in your yard, or does it have an escape proof enclosure?

diggermom

redding, ca
Why do you think it was stolen vs. lost? What size leopard tortoise was it and where was it when it disappeared? Do you have someone on video taking it? Was it loose in your yard, or does it have an escape proof enclosure?
She was in an enclosure with a few other tortoises. And when the organization (Tortoise Acres Sanctuary in Anderson, CA) went to put her away for the evening, she was missing. They searched with many people the next day and did not see her. But, again, she was in an enclosure that she really could not escape from. No video, no security footage, unlocked premises, etc... Very loose security all around.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Human interest stories are usually of interest to local TV stations.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
She was in an enclosure with a few other tortoises. And when the organization (Tortoise Acres Sanctuary in Anderson, CA) went to put her away for the evening, she was missing. They searched with many people the next day and did not see her. But, again, she was in an enclosure that she really could not escape from. No video, no security footage, unlocked premises, etc... Very loose security all around.
talk to every local Vet....local humane society...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Post a picture in your local newspaper and offer a reward. Good luck!

diggermom

redding, ca
I’m friends with tortoise Acers owner you need to move on at some point you will probably never find her at this point
Would you stop looking or would you continue looking, knowing in your heart you did everything you could to find him/her? I think a bigger question is: Is there something you know that I don't?