Stone stuck, help!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
If I counted the stones in the xray right, I think there are 8 stones (some of them might be hardened poop). And some hardened poop has also came out as well. So I am really hoping that all has came out. Nevertheless, treatment for E remains the same.

View attachment 205136
Goodness Gracious!!!!! Wwwwwow!!!!! Poor baby!!!! His poor little butt!!! I'd include cactus (opuntial pads) in his daily diet if you haven't already. You have done an AWESOME JOB @ Tacos*mom

Souptugo

5 Year Member
Great job! Amazing. My little guy ates stones too and passed them but never this big. That little guy is a true trooper. Great job with his care. Hope he feels better and better soon.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
They weren't swallowed, Lisa, he grew them inside him from being kept too dry.
I'm leaning towards a higher protein diet is also an issue with this especially with sulcatas. Too much pellets that have alfalfa, or other high protein or animal protein that they may have ingested. Out of 100's of sulcatas, I've only had 3 develop bladder stones. Always very well hydrated, the only difference I could find was all three at different times, had found a place they found, and could ingest earthworms, and they seemed to love them. That's the only thing I could ever find that was different with those three. I know with pygmy goats, they are chronically fearful of stones, and advise to totally stay away from alfalfa because of the high protein. Different anatomy that certainly makes male goats in particular prone, but the issue of the crystals forming is still the same.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I'm leaning towards a higher protein diet is also an issue with this especially with sulcatas. Too much pellets that have alfalfa, or other high protein or animal protein that they may have ingested. Out of 100's of sulcatas, I've only had 3 develop bladder stones. Always very well hydrated, the only difference I could find was all three at different times, had found a place they found, and could ingest earthworms, and they seemed to love them. That's the only thing I could ever find that was different with those three. I know with pygmy goats, they are chronically fearful of stones, and advise to totally stay away from alfalfa because of the high protein. Different anatomy that certainly makes male goats in particular prone, but the issue of the crystals forming is still the same.
This is very interesting and does make sense

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU @Taco*mom !!!!!!!!!!! I honestly doubted that this little guy would be okay, but look at that!!!! That is so encouraging and I am sure he will be able to pass the other two stones. He is SUCH a little trooper!! I can't believe it!! You have to be one of the best tortoise owner's on the planet. I would have had a heart attack. :eek:

Fresno, CA
@Taco*mom... so glad to see your little one is passing those darn stones!!! What a trooper!!!
I see you said he was an albino... do the albinos tend to have "stones" more than others?
Just curious?... but again... congrats on the pass ;-)

Taco*mom

Just an update,
E is doing very well. No more stone came out. His food is still mixed with mineral oil and he is soaked 3 times a day now. He had watery fruit like papaya which he digged in and finished really quick. His weight has came back up since it went down drastically when all the stones came out. Seems active and enjoying his simple life.

@Yvonne G, do you think it's safe to stop the mineral oil?

Thank you guys for all the help and kind words. You guys are awesome!