Strange behavior

mamameg

Location (City and/or State)
Detroit, MI, USA
Hello All-

This evening I noticed my young (about 10 months old) redfoot actually strange. She kept opening her mouth like she was chewing, but nowhere near her food. I decided to take her out to examine her and she continued to open her mouth almost hissing at me (this is not typical behavior of hers). I decided to soak her for a few. Typically she "swims" a bit and takes the time to go to the bathroom, but this time she held her head up high as if she was trying to breathe! I put her back in her habitat and watched her eat it a bit. She did continue to do the mouth/chewing motion even after she was finished eating. She also bit at her foreleg to get it into her shell. I have never, ever seen her act this way.

Perhaps I am a tad bit paranoid because I am leaving town in a few days, but thought i'd seek the advice of the community.

Her habitat is consistently kept at 75-90% humidity and her temperatures range from 80-85 degrees with a UVB of 5%. Also goes outside a few times a week. She has a diverse diet of greens, veggies, and fruits. She eats eggs or worms 1x per week.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
Hello All-

This evening I noticed my young (about 10 months old) redfoot actually strange. She kept opening her mouth like she was chewing, but nowhere near her food. I decided to take her out to examine her and she continued to open her mouth almost hissing at me (this is not typical behavior of hers). I decided to soak her for a few. Typically she "swims" a bit and takes the time to go to the bathroom, but this time she held her head up high as if she was trying to breathe! I put her back in her habitat and watched her eat it a bit. She did continue to do the mouth/chewing motion even after she was finished eating. She also bit at her foreleg to get it into her shell. I have never, ever seen her act this way.

Perhaps I am a tad bit paranoid because I am leaving town in a few days, but thought i'd seek the advice of the community.

Her habitat is consistently kept at 75-90% humidity and her temperatures range from 80-85 degrees with a UVB of 5%. Also goes outside a few times a week. She has a diverse diet of greens, veggies, and fruits. She eats eggs or worms 1x per week.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

She's struggling to breath. Get her to a vet as soon as possible.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She might have something caught in her mouth or throat. See if you can look in and see anything.

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
@wellington I can't see anything. Her nostrils are small but also look clear. Her legs also seemed limp. This is a complete turn around from her 8:00 am soak! She was just fine!
I expressed my concern to my husband and he said he saw her drinking in her shallow dish earlier in the day. Will call the vet in the am. ☹️ Any other thoughts/ideas are welcomed.

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
@MysticCaribou any idea what could be causing this?

Possibly she ingested some of her bedding. But when their most is open like that, it's usually a sign of struggling to breath. She needs to be seen by a qualified vet. This is serious when it gets to that point.

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
@MysticCaribou her bizarre breathing has stopped. Back to normal eating and drinking/bathing. She has continued claw at her head while she was soaking this morning. Upon closer inspection I discovered small transparent bugs that I think are snow mites. From what I have read, they are harmless and supposedly do not bother torts, but I'm wondering if they are irritating her? Changing her substrate when I get home in fear of more eggs (although there are pill bugs in there!). Do you suggest I get rid of the coconut shredding? Or at least maybe where she eats? Thanks for your input!