Strange pyramiding

JoshGoldberg

Lil z has pyramiding but part of her shell shows no new pyramiding while other parts do...the new growth on the back of her shell has grown in very smooth. But the top middle makes her look very pyramided. Why is this1440804801829677241771.jpgAt the back of her shell and on the bottom it is smooth... But not at the top

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know why it does this, but I have noticed with mine and other photos, where the top scutes are pyramided, but the rest looks smooth. For me, those were the scutes that I just couldn't get to stop. It may have to do with how they were started, just a guess.

JoshGoldberg

I don't know why it does this, but I have noticed with mine and other photos, where the top scutes are pyramided, but the rest looks smooth. For me, those were the scutes that I just couldn't get to stop. It may have to do with how they were started, just a guess.
Thats a shame :(

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I think it's the lights too.
But that is an odd pattern of pyramiding.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I have theories that the over head heat sources contribute to pyramiding in that specific location.
The desiccating effects of light bulbs hit right on top!
I'm with you on this.
Even if you think your tort doesn't hang out under the basking bulb , you may just not see it often.
Over proliferation of beta keratin is now thought to be a response to the desiccating effects of heat lamps more than anything else - at least many keepers are coming to this conclusion.
The high humid enclosures mitigate for this , but not in all cases.

I remember a thread where it was observed one tort was showing pyramiding while another did not in same enclosure. The owner observed them for some time and saw that the pyramiding tort hung out directly under the lamp 2x as often as the other.
Just antidotal , but could be significant knowledge.

JoshGoldberg

I'm with you on this.
Even if you think your tort doesn't hang out under the basking bulb , you may just not see it often.
Over proliferation of beta keratin is now thought to be a response to the desiccating effects of heat lamps more than anything else - at least many keepers are coming to this conclusion.
The high humid enclosures mitigate for this , but not in all cases.

I remember a thread where it was observed one tort was showing pyramiding while another did not in same enclosure. The owner observed them for some time and saw that the pyramiding tort hung out directly under the lamp 2x as often as the other.
Just antidotal , but could be significant knowledge.
So is there anything i can do?

Alaskamike

South Florida
Sure.
Always something you can do to help.
First I would check temps at she'll hight directly under the heat lamp.
IMO it should not be over 100f

If it is raise the heat lamp or go with smaller wattage

Second , I missed it if you have enclosed chamber. If not I would find a way to do that and keep humidity in there at 80%

I would also get a jar of extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil. Health food stores sell it. And I would coat his shell with that 3x / wk. there is a long drawn out thread on this in the debatable topics. Decide for yourself. I think it helps.

( I also assume you soak him 3X/ wk and keep plenty of water in a terra cotta dish he can climb into )

Good fortune with him

JoshGoldberg

Sure.
Always something you can do to help.
First I would check temps at she'll hight directly under the heat lamp.
IMO it should not be over 100f

If it is raise the heat lamp or go with smaller wattage

Second , I missed it if you have enclosed chamber. If not I would find a way to do that and keep humidity in there at 80%

I would also get a jar of extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil. Health food stores sell it. And I would coat his shell with that 3x / wk. there is a long drawn out thread on this in the debatable topics. Decide for yourself. I think it helps.

( I also assume you soak him 3X/ wk and keep plenty of water in a terra cotta dish he can climb into )

Good fortune with him
Yes it is enclosed and i soak her every day.

JoshGoldberg

I dont have a way to check heat as of right now though. But i wonder if a fish tank thermometer would work

Alaskamike

South Florida
I dont have a way to check heat as of right now though. But i wonder if a fish tank thermometer would work
I don't think so.
A heat gun. You can get at lowes or Home Depot. I think it was 12$.
It uses a lazer beam. Tells precise surface temps.

JoshGoldberg

I don't think so.
A heat gun. You can get at lowes or Home Depot. I think it was 12$.
It uses a lazer beam. Tells precise surface temps.
I got a precise hygrometer and thermometer from someone on ttfo and i will use that... I just need batteries...