String Algae

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Picture off the 'net.
upload_2015-5-2_13-9-44.jpeg
A small amount of this has begun to grow on a large rock in the right side of the painted's tank. The plecostomus in that side refuses to eat it :rolleyes: but mr turtle on that side gobbles it up, right down to the rock. When it grows back, he eats it again.
...Algae? o_O Is this safe for him? He gets greens... which he usually boycotts :p but if this is something safe he likes and is willing to eat, I'll leave it in there.

Randi

Canada
That is green hair algae. There are few fish that will consume it. For fish, I would use Siamese Algae Eaters paired with Amano shrimp. Of course, shrimp in a turtle tank won't last long, lol. I find plecos are quite lazy algae eaters as they grow. Do you know what type he is? I'd manually remove as much algae as possible. I'd also do a water change.

Are you able to do a water test? Some pet stores offer free tests, and will sell kits. I would check your tank water as well as the water as it comes out of the tap. I'd check to see if the alkalinity is high as well as PH. I'd also look at the nitrates in the tank. If there is uneaten food or poor water quality, the algae thrives. Lighting is also a factor - new lights, even expired lights can promote algae. Tank being close to a window, etc..

Best of luck to you!!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
That is green hair algae. There are few fish that will consume it. For fish, I would use Siamese Algae Eaters paired with Amano shrimp. Of course, shrimp in a turtle tank won't last long, lol. I find plecos are quite lazy algae eaters as they grow. Do you know what type he is? I'd manually remove as much algae as possible. I'd also do a water change.

Are you able to do a water test? Some pet stores offer free tests, and will sell kits. I would check your tank water as well as the water as it comes out of the tap. I'd check to see if the alkalinity is high as well as PH. I'd also look at the nitrates in the tank. If there is uneaten food or poor water quality, the algae thrives. Lighting is also a factor - new lights, even expired lights can promote algae. Tank being close to a window, etc..

Best of luck to you!!
Thank you! :D I actually do have a tube from a pet store who will do free tests. Wikipedia has informed me he is a Hypostomus plecostomus :)
I did just do a water change, as the rocks began to get a little green (lazy fish :rolleyes: ) and the water is far clearer.
Our water is filtered of all the goodies, like chlorine. Factor?
I just changed their UVB about a month ago, since it's spring. Someone around here had that fabulous idea :)

Randi

Canada
Thank you! :D I actually do have a tube from a pet store who will do free tests. Wikipedia has informed me he is a Hypostomus plecostomus :)
I did just do a water change, as the rocks began to get a little green (lazy fish :rolleyes: ) and the water is far clearer.
Our water is filtered of all the goodies, like chlorine. Factor?
I just changed their UVB about a month ago, since it's spring. Someone around here had that fabulous idea :)

I'd bring two water samples. One from the turtle tank and one directly out of the tap. Please take a picture of the test results. I'd like to see.

That pleco will be quite large and the bigger it gets, the less cleaning it will do. Do you have any wood in the tank? They actually will eat it. Also, as he gets bigger, if you have any fish, you may notice some missing.. he will likely eat them. I'd change him out for a group of algae eaters (chinese or siamese). You could try a baby crayfish. I worked at a fish store and when they redid the lights on the tanks, they had massive hair algae blooms. We would put the baby crayfish into those tanks. They loved eating the hair algae.

I think this big algae bloom could be from your new lighting. I would still see what your water chemistry is like.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'd bring two water samples. One from the turtle tank and one directly out of the tap. Please take a picture of the test results. I'd like to see.

That pleco will be quite large and the bigger it gets, the less cleaning it will do. Do you have any wood in the tank? They actually will eat it. Also, as he gets bigger, if you have any fish, you may notice some missing.. he will likely eat them. I'd change him out for a group of algae eaters (chinese or siamese). You could try a baby crayfish. I worked at a fish store and when they redid the lights on the tanks, they had massive hair algae blooms. We would put the baby crayfish into those tanks. They loved eating the hair algae.

I think this big algae bloom could be from your new lighting. I would still see what your water chemistry is like.
Sure :D I will be going to get new food for the big turtles next week anyway, so I can take my samples then.
Really? :confused: I do not have fish, since small fish+turtles didn't work out so swell. No, only artificial. It's easier to clean.
He does a great job on the glass :p
Would turtles like to snack on a crayfish?
It's the same tube I always use, 5. Repti Sun. I'd like a ten, for plants, but I usually just get that one, because it's harder to find a 10. in 4' length.

Randi

Canada
The common pleco can get up to 60cm in size. I'm not big on plecos. They poop an incredible amount, are nocturnal and are quite aggressive. If you ever get other algae eaters, the pleco needs to be removed. They are territorial. They like their own space.

If your turtles can catch the crayfish, he'd make a lovely meal. If you have places to hide and got a baby crayfish, they probably won't even see it. They will hide anywhere they can. You could put some pvc piping and it will hide in it. If you have gravel, they can go underneath it to hide. If you ever do get a crayfish, don't buy fish for the tank! If the crayfish is able to climb, he will sit there with his claws out trying to catch the fish. Hahahaa.

When you change your lighting, the spectrums change and can promote algae growth. I'm still curious about the water chemistry.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Here is my little test tube of destiny!
xxx.jpg
It's from Petsmart. I'll have the results later :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'm rather pleased by these results. Ammonia is at 0. 0. Wow, I did not expect that! I mean, they're clear and all, but they are clean! :D
Nitrate is high :) something with that? ii.jpg dd.jpg

Randi

Canada
The ones you want always want to be zero ppm are ammonia and nitrites, chloramine and chlorine. Ammonia and nitrates will stop respiration in fish (causing the fish to gasp at the water surface then die). In a dream world, your nitrates would also be zero ppm. Nitrates are caused by an over abundance of waste (decaying plants, filters that may not be able to handle the capacity of the tank, left over food/over feeding, not enough water being exchanged through water changes, poop, etc). As you see, many things contribute to nitrates being high. I would remove 25% of the water in the tank and replace it. Do that once or twice a week for two weeks and see if it lowers. I think your nitrates are what's feeding the algae.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
The ones you want always want to be zero ppm are ammonia and nitrites, chloramine and chlorine. Ammonia and nitrates will stop respiration in fish (causing the fish to gasp at the water surface then die). In a dream world, your nitrates would also be zero ppm. Nitrates are caused by an over abundance of waste (decaying plants, filters that may not be able to handle the capacity of the tank, left over food/over feeding, not enough water being exchanged through water changes, poop, etc). As you see, many things contribute to nitrates being high. I would remove 25% of the water in the tank and replace it. Do that once or twice a week for two weeks and see if it lowers. I think your nitrates are what's feeding the algae.
Alright.
I'll do another test next week and see if water changes will help a bit :) Thank you :D

Randi

Canada
You are most welcome! :D I'll wait for an update! If you have any questions, feel free to message me. As always, best of luck to you!! :<3: