Substrate advice

BeccaGeddes

Location (City and/or State)
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi guys,
Just got a new substrate for my 1 year old Hermann's. Got it from pets at home but I'm scared he's going to eat it, I found him with a little bit in his mouth two minutes after I'd changed it over! Any advice would be appreciated, am i just being paranoid? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419088396.665624.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, can you list out what the substrate consists of (soil, sphagnum peat moss, coconut coir, etc). What are those ' lil white specs/stones?

BeccaGeddes

Glasgow, Scotland
All it says on the bag is 'a mix of sterilised top soil, sand and limestone grit'. I think the little white bits might be the limestone maybe? It's those bits he's trying to eat.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Good morning Becca
Sand isn't good for torts cause they eat and it blocks up their system . White little stones that look like pearlite isn't good either cause it blocks up their system . You will find that big bright packages are to get us to buy not better products . Sorry . But Hermanns still rule !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I doubt the little pieces of limestone will be harmful, but you can always put another layer of something else on top of this substrate. Some people like to use coco coir. My choice is orchid bark.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Unless the bark is small pieces, I wouldn't use it. Large pieces are hard for babies to walk on.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer orchid bark for bigger ones and coco coir for smaller ones.

I would not use anything with sand in it, or little white bits that they might want to eat. If they need calcium I will use a powdered supplement on the food or give them a cuttle bone.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I am very happy with coco Coir for little ones and use coco husk fiber for larger ones. I use sphagnum moss in places.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
hi there, we were using the same kind of stuff as pictured for a while but not long changed to coco coir. I strongly advice changing as suggested, we were amazed in the difference.