Substrate Choice, What Do You Prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
MasterOogway said:
RedfootsRule said:
I put spaghum moss about 1/2 inch thick over the entire enclosure, patted down really hard so the floor is pretty easy for them to walk on. Usually, for my hatchlings, since I almost always have at least 10-12, the back 1/4th of the cage is a 5-inch high pile of loosened spaghum moss. As hatchlings, they are like moles. They disappear in big piles of spaghum. Past 6 months or so, they seem to just prefer to sit on top of it, but it depends on the hatchling also.

Is Canadian spaghum moss the same thing? I have both the Canadian spaghum moss here & the stringy New Zealand Sphagnum moss. They are very different in color & texture. All the different types of moss are confusing to me. Is spaghum & sphagnum totally different? I would like to try the spaghum moss you are referring to as I am not a fan of the coco coir so far. Does this type of moss mold easy?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure "sphagnum" is a mis-spell of spaghum. I've used New Zealand a few times, its a little bit different then some, but it still works just fine. The Canadian moss might work, might not, I don't know what it looks like.
I use the brand "MosserLee" spaghum moss. It natural CAN'T grow mold, or fungus. Also, "BetterGro orchid moss" is sold at Lowes and Home depot, it is also mold/fungus free.

Thanks I copied sphagnum from the bag but it is from New Zealand so maybe they spell it different. I was not sure if it was a different spelling but the same thing or something totally different. Thanks for giving the name brand names that help!

jwang1983

5 Year Member
shelloise said:
I was looking at several enclosures in that section and noticed a fair range of substrates. Other than soil, what do you guys prefer and why? What works best for a RF? Thanks.

cypress mulch I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.